Re: Can I use the Windows 8.1 Skype app only with ...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can I use the Windows 8.1 Skype app only with my Skype account?

Hi, everyone.

I was wondering while taking a look at the renewed Skype app for 8.1 if it is at all possible

to use the app (not the Desktop Skype version) only by signing in with my simple Skype account.

Is it absolutely necessary to sign in with my Microsoft account? I don't want that.

Also, if that's not possible, how can I merge my Microsoft account with an existing Skype account?

To be honest, I'm not interested in switching to another account now that I've got everything set up.

And another thing:

If feedback is heard and appreciated here, using the Windows 8.1 Skype app should be allowed to

work just by signing in with a simple Skype account.

Thanks for reading this, and I would appreciate any answers.

greekhawk
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 7 (3,387 Views)

Re: Can I use the Windows 8.1 Skype app only with my Skype account?

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Indeed you can only sign in with a Microsoft account to Skype for Windows 8.1 - You can merge your Skype acocunt with your Microsoft account though. More details here: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12060/how-do-i-merge-my-skype-and-microsoft-accounts

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13868
Message 2 of 7 (3,340 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the answer.

I've read all that, but is there a way to merge my Skype account with my Microsoft account

without going through that very first screen when I open Skype app for Windows 8.1?

Do I have to switch to a local account on my PC and them merge?

I think it should have been made easier and without having to log out of one account to be able to merge one with another. I don't know...

greekhawk
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 7 (3,336 Views)

This is intolerable. I have a Skype account I should be able to sign into the Skype app with that signin.  I refuse to use a Microsoft account to use Skype.

Please allow us to use our Skype accounts, without strong arming people into using an MS account.

MSStrongArm
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 4 of 7 (2,565 Views)

[ Edited ]

I guess I now have to delete and stop using Skype at work on PC and at home on iOS. I do not want the MS crap login. Why is it these folks think they can just dictate to users what they want them to use. This is getting out of hand with many software vendors. They only way they get the message is to stop using their products. So now I'm off to find a replacement app for me and my company. Really a shame. Bad move Skype!!

fred.stemp
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 7 (1,913 Views)

Well, as usual, Microsoft/Skype don't seem to get the message: we DO NOT want to be forced to create & use a MS account to log into an existing Skype account. So there!!

elly-vv
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 7 (1,035 Views)

You will not need Microsoft account with Skype desktop version:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.18.0.105.msi

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6317
Message 7 of 7 (1,029 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling