windows 8 app not opening

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

windows 8 app not opening

when i open up the application on my start page, it takes about 5 min to load and it says "oops, there was a problem. please restart skype or try again." and when i click try again, it loads for another 5 min and says the same message. i also closed it and went back into the app and it did the same message. also, i uninstalled the app and downloaded it again. same message. please help!

0 Kudos
acapaldi41
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 23 (2,935 Views)

Re: windows 8 app not opening

Have you tried uninstalling Skype apps?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
0 Kudos
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6182
Message 2 of 23 (2,933 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am having trouble getting skype to work on windows 8. it says it is installed but when i click on it - it just tries loading for 5 min. but nothing happens. I try to find it in the programs so that I can uninstall it and reload. It can not be found in the list. I went into the action center to try to run a compatibility scan, but again it is not in the list of apps. I am so frustrated. Can you help?

I don't know if I will be able to get back to this page to find your answer, I will try but my email address is xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxx

Thanks in advance.

[Mod edit: Please do not include personal/private information when making a public post. Thanks!]

0 Kudos
glenntodd65
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 23 (2,887 Views)

Did you receive any error code / messages?
Were you able to use Skype without any issues earlier?
What’s the recent change that you made to your computer after which this issue has started to occur?
Which version of Skype do you use?
Do you have any security software installed on the computer?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
0 Kudos
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 4 of 23 (2,885 Views)

It is a new computer, I actually think the skype app was already on the screen when I bought it. when I click on the app it just does the start up process for a number of minutes but never loads

0 Kudos
glenntodd65
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 23 (2,881 Views)

It finally says Oops, Restart or Try again
0 Kudos
glenntodd65
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 23 (2,879 Views)

You can try to uninstall the Skype for Windows 8 and then try to install it again

In the Metro UI, right click on Skype app and then select 'Uninstall' from the menu on the bottom.

Then install modern Skype directly from Windows Store

Press WinKey + R to open the Run window

type: ms-windows-store: and press Enter

Right Click on store screen then select Your Apps and install modern Skype.

Regards,
Tamim

0 Kudos
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 7 of 23 (2,878 Views)

I have never been able to use skype with this computer

0 Kudos
glenntodd65
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 23 (2,877 Views)

Please reinstall Skype. (See my previous post)

Regards,
Tamim

0 Kudos
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 9 of 23 (2,875 Views)

I went into the apps and right clicked and uninstalled. I went over to the store and reinstall skype and tried to open it and it did the same thing. just went thru the start up process for 3 minutes and then said Oops - restart or try again

0 Kudos
glenntodd65
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 23 (2,874 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling