Windows 8 skype not working

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Windows 8 skype not working

I have tried multiple times to open skype on my Windows 8 laptop. After I install, I get the two messages requesting permission to use my webcam/microphone, and run in the background. I always approve both these messages. Then, I get the little waiting circle--perpetually. How do I actually get into Skype?

a screenshot of the perpetual screen:

skype.jpg

I'd use the desktop program, but I like the app interface much better, and want to use it if possible. HELP!

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
BTaylor
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 17 (3,478 Views)

Re: Windows 8 skype not working

Please answer all of the following questions in your very next reply:

Do you have any security software installed on the computer?
Did a Free-trial antivirus come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it?
Do you have any other p2p (BiTtorrent, Team Viewer) software installed on the computer?
Which version of Skype do you use?
Do you have Hamachi LogMeIn installed?
What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
What third-party firewall (if any)?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
0 Kudos
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6193
Message 2 of 17 (3,462 Views)

The only security software on the computer is MS Defender. When I purchased the laptop, it came with a free trial of Norton, but I uninstalled it because I didn't need it. I don't have any third-party firewalls.

I don't have any p2p software, or Hamachi LogMeIn.

I have the most recent version of skype for Windows 8. I don't know the exact version number, because it is uninstalled right now. But every time I install it, it gives me the same error.

Thanks for your reply. I hope you can help.

0 Kudos
BTaylor
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 17 (3,414 Views)

Try Below:

Reset IE.

Press WinKey + R to open the Run window

WinKey (the button is located between the left Ctrl and Alt with the Windows logo)

winkey1.png

Type: iexplore.exe and press Enter

In IE, Click Internet Options >> Advanced >> Restore Advanced Settings >> Reset.

Mark Delete personal settings >> OK >> restart.

Now Check Proxy settings

In Internet Explorer, Go to, Tools >> Internet Options... >> Connections>> Lan settings , Use a proxy server... if it had been ticked, then... Remove that check. Make sure automatically detect settings is enabled. (Marked)

ieproxy.PNG

Install Skype app.

Press WinKey + R to open the Run window

type: ms-windows-store: and press Enter

Right Click on store screen then select Your Apps and install modern Skype.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
0 Kudos
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 4 of 17 (3,402 Views)

Thanks, Tamim, but it still doesn't work. Any other advice?

0 Kudos
BTaylor
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 17 (3,391 Views)

Download and Run Process Explorer
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Save the process lists to a text file, compress and attached the file in here.

Regards,
Tamim

0 Kudos
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 6 of 17 (3,388 Views)

What process am I looking for?
0 Kudos
BTaylor
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 17 (3,385 Views)

all the processes you have running in the background.

Regards,
Tamim

0 Kudos
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 8 of 17 (3,382 Views)

how do I do that? Do I have to select each one? I have quite a few...
0 Kudos
BTaylor
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 17 (3,380 Views)

Run Process Explorer >> Click File >> Save.

then compress the text file to a zip format and attached.

you can also Copy / Paste the texts in here.

Regards,
Tamim

0 Kudos
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 10 of 17 (3,371 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling