Windows 8 skype app not working

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Windows 8 skype app not working

I got a new laptop for my computer yesterday and it has windows 8 on it, it's an MSI ge70 gaming laptop. I downloaded the skype app from the store and came to find out when i click on it, my backround gets the skype light blue color in it like it's going to open but then it goes directly back to the start screen again. I tried downloading the desktop version sense the app isnt working and everytime i sign in it boots me off my computer with a driver error. I'm not sure why the app isn't working, i've noticed other apps do the same thing. I click, it pops up, and re directs me back to the start screen with no option to sign in. Please Help. 

0 Kudos
austing5354
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 12 (1,930 Views)

Re: Windows 8 skype app not working

What is the exact error (driver error) message?

Do you have any security software installed on the computer?
Did a Free-trial antivirus come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it?
Do you have any other p2p (µTorrent, BiTtorrent, Team Viewer) software installed on the computer?
Do you have Hamachi LogMeIn installed?
What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
What third-party firewall (if any)?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
0 Kudos
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6078
Message 2 of 12 (1,921 Views)

[ Edited ]

There's no error message, it just jump back to the start page, and continue to "run" in the background; but, it will be just the blue screen "running".

I'm having the exact problem, except it has been working until the last update.

0 Kudos
chklai
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 12 (1,911 Views)

Please answer all of the above questions.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
0 Kudos
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 4 of 12 (1,903 Views)

[ Edited ]

The error when i use the desktop version of skype is "driver_not_less_or_equal". I'm almost certain that it didn't come with any antivirus software and i haven't installed anything but steam, skype, the espn app, google chrome, instametogram. Also i downloaded steam with a game called dota 2. There is no error message with the app. There is only the blue screen, like when i look into the programs that are running in the backround and it will show skype has just a big light blue screen. I'm sorry i can't give much information, some other info is that i have some programs with the names "cyberlink dvd player", "Qualcomm killer network manager","winzip". It synchronized my contacts from skype into my people app, so i'm quite confused as to what the issue could be. I have a Nvidia graphics card, that probably isnt close to the reason. Thank you for helping so far

0 Kudos
austing5354
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 12 (1,903 Views)

Can you try uninstalling Qualcomm killer network manager just to test to see?

Regards,
Tamim

0 Kudos
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 6 of 12 (1,897 Views)

I deleted that and success! The desktop version of skype is fully operational and running, the app on the other hand is still doing the same thing, i will upload a video or some photos of what exactly is happening after class. It integrated the account with my windows account and the contacts are in my people app, so i'm just not sure. Some other apps that did the exact same thing are facebook touch and metro twitter. I'll keep searching for solutions, again thank you for all the help so far. 

0 Kudos
austing5354
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 12 (1,884 Views)

Hi
I had the same issue
just uninstall the app, sign out from your Windows account and sign in again.
Install the app from Windows Store as you did before.
Best
0 Kudos
Sveto
Former Staff
Kudos: 7
Message 8 of 12 (1,879 Views)

austing5354,

You are very welcome and thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
Tamim

0 Kudos
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 9 of 12 (1,855 Views)

What is the exact error (driver error) message?

There was no error message, when the app start, it just go to the light-blue screen for a moment, and just jump back to the start screen.

Do you have any security software installed on the computer?

I am running Kaspersky One

Did a Free-trial antivirus come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it?

No.

Do you have any other p2p (µTorrent, BiTtorrent, Team Viewer) software installed on the computer?

Team Viewer, Cyberlink Media, Roxio Now Player, and iTunes

Do you have Hamachi LogMeIn installed?

No.

What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?

I only have Kaspersky One.

0 Kudos
chklai
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 12 (1,838 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling