Skype for desktop doesn't call on Win8

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype for desktop doesn't call on Win8

Hi guys, I'm having a problem trying to use Skype on the new Win8 Pro x64. When I Try to call someone it just do nothing, it appears the typical windows of the call but the phone doesn't ring! Moreover I can't close the call, and Skype doesn't close properly anymore, I have to stop it through the Task Manager.. I noticed that when I try to install it, it sees my webcam but it doesn't listen to my microphone, while all the other programs have no problems with it. I tried to:

Uninstall Skype
Delete manually all the registry keys about Skype
Delete every file concerning Skype in my computer (so every file in /AppData, /Roaming, /Applications ....)
Check my audio drivers
Reboot
Re-Install Skype

But nothing, it didn't worked. So I tried to format my computer, reinstall all the drivers and install  Skype. It worked for 2-3 days, then it started again! Moreover, when Skype for desktop do this, also Skype for Windows 8 have the same problem, but then when I try to uninstall everything and install only Skype for Windows 8 (Metro version) it works! (but I hate this version... xP).

I don't know if the information is useful, but I'm on a ASUS N56VZ S4017V. I have Realtek Audio Drivers.

Can we find something to make it work properly? :bigsmile:

PS: Sorry about my english, it's not my native language... How was it? ROTFL

0 Kudos
bl4zar_
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 17 (838 Views)

Re: Skype for desktop doesn't call on Win8

i have exactly the same problem.
0 Kudos
davidbombac
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 17 (776 Views)

Interesting... Do you have the N56VZ too? Or however the Realtek Drivers?

0 Kudos
bl4zar_
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 17 (757 Views)

Same problem.  Also, the version of skype windows 8 came with didn't work either.

0 Kudos
scottrobinson76
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 17 (746 Views)

yes, I have realtek drivers. Don't know exact version is used on that computer. Will update later,

0 Kudos
davidbombac
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 17 (741 Views)

It seems to be a common problem.. But i don't know were it comes from, the Realtek Divers are very very used on a lots of PCs and I don't think that they can really be the main problem honestly. I saw lots of computer with Realtek Drivers playing Skype properly. Maybe we can compare our devices, notice what we have in common and focus on this. 

My situation is:
ASUS N56VZ S4017V with Win8 Pro x64
Realtek Drivers 6.0.1.6710
Nvidia Drivers 310.70
Intel Display Drivers 9.17.10.2828

Programs installed:
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Adobe Reader XI
Age of Empires
COD4
CCleaner
Facebook video calling
Google Chrome
Java 7 Update 9
K-Lite Mega Codec Pack
Ableton Live
MS Office Plus 2010 x64
Different versions of Microsoft Visual C++ 
Firefox 17
My Lockbox
Recuva
Samsung Kies
Softwre Intel Wireless PROset/Wifi
WinRAR 4.2
uTorrent

Active Processes:

What do we have in common? (a part from the "normal" or very popular preocesses... )

0 Kudos
bl4zar_
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 17 (723 Views)

You can try to completely uninstall Facebook video calling software / Samsung KIES software.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6443
Message 7 of 17 (716 Views)

[ Edited ]

I uninstalled Kies and it seems working now! Thanks Tamim!! :bigsmile:

PS: So there are conflicts between Skype and Kies?! O.o

0 Kudos
bl4zar_
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 17 (701 Views)

You are very welcome and thank you for your feedback.

Yes there is a known issue with Skype and older version of Samsung Kies Software. You may also try to reinstall / update your version of Samsung Kies Software.

samsungapps.com/mars/about/downloadapps.as

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6443
Message 9 of 17 (675 Views)

The problem is back, and this time I don't have Kie on my computer :/ It is identical to the previous time! :sad:
0 Kudos
bl4zar_
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 17 (631 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling