Skype for Windows 8... cannot find -any- configura...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype for Windows 8... cannot find -any- configuration options

Just got a laptop with Windows 8 today.  Downloaded Skype and found out it's radically different (quite awful actually... what were they thinking?).  I cannot find a single configuration option at all.  No File, no Options, no way to configure microphone or webcam, the only two options I can find are Add Contact and Save Number.  There appears from all outward appearances to be absolutely nothing configurable about this new terrible iteration of Skype.  Does anyone know what hoops I have to jump through to get some config options available?  To test my microphone, webcam, adjust values and properties?

Any help would be appreciated...

marymag
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 13
Message 1 of 4 (2,698 Views)

Re: Skype for Windows 8... cannot find -any- configuration options

If it's the "Metro" version you downloaded from the Windows store, you might download and install the traditional, or "desktop" version.   The desktop version may be more like what you're accustomed to.

You can download the full installer via this link:

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 920
Message 2 of 4 (2,686 Views)

Thanks so much, that did the trick.  Skype is back to its configurable self! 

0 Kudos
marymag
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 13
Message 3 of 4 (2,680 Views)

In windows 8 all the apps share the same behaviour, just move the mouse on the right of the monitor to show the charm bar with all the details
0 Kudos
MrBiso
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 4 (1,457 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling