Skype for Window8 is terrible and I want everythin...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Skype for Window8 is terrible and I want everything back the way it was.

I downloaded Skype on a new Windows8 PC. I have righ- clicked, left-clicked and done everything I can think of to see any resemblance of what I see on my other computers that use Windows7 (controls, contact list, help, how to change my online, away, offline, invisible, clear history, etc.)
I also don't have all of my contacts on W8 as with W7!
I can't work with it at all nor control anything on it.
Is there a way for me to get the same or similar looking type version with controls as I had with Windows7? Please, help!

Thanks,

Grace

techfreak
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

The standard desktop client functions on Windows 8 just fine.  You can remove the app and use it.

http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-windows/downloading/

View solution in original post
AmazingGrace-Hi
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 12 (6,115 Views)

Re: Skype for Windows 8 is terrible and I want everything back the way it was.

The standard desktop client functions on Windows 8 just fine.  You can remove the app and use it.

http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-windows/downloading/

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1306
Message 2 of 12 (6,096 Views)

You are wonderful! Thank you so much for this link that has my Skype back to the way I'm used to it!

I can't thank you enough!!!

Grace

0 Kudos
AmazingGrace-Hi
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 12 (6,069 Views)

Re: Skype for Window8 is terrible and I want everything back the way it was.

I have moved from windows xp to windows 7 and have the same frustrating problems as you Grace.
let me know if you find a way through this pls.
0 Kudos
tonez1302
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 12 (4,095 Views)

Grace, you're WONDERFUL, I was in exactly the same position with Windows 8, I hated it!!!  I used the link that someone provided you with and like you, I've got my "old" Skype back.  Brilliant.  I'm having a nightmare with so many things on Windows 8, it took me 2 hours to burn a cd of photos for my son this morning, so your situation has cheered me up no end.  Many thanks.  Jilly :happy:

JillyM
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 5 of 12 (3,124 Views)

Windows 8 would only direct me to their store to DL SKYPE, and I couldn't due to some error. Fortunately that link given above had me DL straight from SKYPE.com and it appears to be working just fine now.

I am hating my Windows 8 experience as well. I am not a fan of Windows/Microsoft in the first place, so them requiring a Microsoft ID to even get my new computer started for the first time was a BIG turn off.

Roberttheruby
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 6 of 12 (3,092 Views)

They call it Immersion Mode, I call it Drowning Mode.

Someone tell Gates that not everyone has or wants a Damm touchscreen!

I Need file/edit/help menus, I am NOT going to try to learn magic hand swipes....especially when I DONT HAVE A DAMM TOUCHSCREEN!

I will never shop at Best Buy again...they sold me this crap w/o telling me Win8 makes a non-touchscreen near useless and extremely frustrating.

RandomGrin
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 12 (3,059 Views)

Here would have been a great post that actually praised Microsoft and offered to help you with Windows 8 usability, but I deleted it, as all [post] did is tell me I have invalid HTML and that it removed it.   (but still won't post!)

0 Kudos
WardXmodem
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 12 (3,040 Views)

Thank you techfreak, you saved the day for me too. I downloaded it, am installing it now, hoping for the best.
0 Kudos
JustAnotherJoan
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 12 (2,707 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanx from me, too, techfreak. The Windows 8 Skype is just a nasty, horrible UI without flexibility, a stupid user interface without any positive qualities, as far as I can tell. Yech! Windows 8 is a challenge at best and a horror at worst, and so far, Skype for Windows 8 is the very worst app I've seen for this OS. I'll get used to it, but my dislike of Microsoft has grown by several orders of magnitude.

CougarB
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 12 (2,074 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling