Skype Windows 8 problems - where is everything? + ...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype Windows 8 problems - where is everything? + Can't get voicemails & recent calls

I can't figure it out

Windows 8 version of Skype seems to be a seriously slimmed down version

I can't find settings for any advanced options (yes, I've been to Options)

Importantly: it doesn't give me a valid history!!

I'll get an email saying that I've got a voicemail - but on Windows 8 I can't see it anywhere!

I have to resort to getting out my iPad

This sucks

Or am I just missing something?

The only option for Windows 8 is to download through the app store

Need help!

I can't survive like this!

Thanks

Omar

omarm
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 14
Message 1 of 23 (11,234 Views)

Re: Skype Windows 8 problems - where is everything? + Can't get voicemails & recent calls

Same here , the design of Skype for Windows 8 is seriously flawed. I cannot even see how to make a call, support tells me that there should be a new call icon in the top left corner of the home screen but I cannot see it. Does anybody understand Skype for windows 8 if so please enlighten me

Brid

bridkelly
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 2 of 23 (11,225 Views)

Re: Skype Windows 8 problems - where is everything? + Can't get voicemails & recent calls

Boy do I agree with that I still havent figured out how to add people to group calls with this new piece of crap

lenstarship
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 3 of 23 (11,186 Views)

i don't get it

i thought it just might be me

i was hoping a kind person would come along and point out where to get the settings i needed

this is runing my life + business

windows 8 - i love

skype windows 8: sucks

skype has got zillions of users, how the heck can they release a full version of the program that is lacking in 30% of essential functions????

omarm
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 23 (11,148 Views)

I did just simply install windows 7 insted.

jonmand
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 23 (11,052 Views)

I agree: in their haste to mimic some sort of smartphone interface, they appear to have got rid of essential and useful features (like voicemail and records) and come up with what appears to be total rubbish if you just want to use it for voice phone calls, as I bet most of their core users do.

Does anyone know if it's possible to ignore the integrated Windows 8 version, and run an older version with full functionality instead?

glee98
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 23 (11,042 Views)

yes, i did this in the end: click on 'other downloads' - or something like that

i was able to get the usual skype program

i wish i could punish skype by going to another company that offers the same service

they don't give a flying **** (i put the stars in myself!)

omarm
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 23 (11,035 Views)

Likewise I'm getting very frustrated trying to get started...signed in...can see my credit, but thats all.

I have family all over the world and rely on skype for keeping in contact...have to go back to windows 7...learnt a very good lesson.

0 Kudos
gasian
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 23 (9,359 Views)

Found this link on other forum. You can get desktop version by downloading from this link.

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

0 Kudos
saliq
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 23 (8,939 Views)

I agree!! Windows 8 is terrible in general but Skype Windows 8 is leading the pack as the worst of the worst. I cannot imagine that this was field tested. What were they thinking?
cwargin
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 10 of 23 (8,824 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling