Cannot install Skype app for windows 8

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Cannot install Skype app for windows 8

I tried to install the skype app for windows 8 on my son's user, but it won't install. I get an error message, saying the app will not install, error code 0x800700b7.

A few days ago I downloaded the skype app on my own account, and encountered no problems.

Any idea what is wrong?

Karl-Fredrik
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 10 (41,730 Views)

Re: Cannot install Skype app for windows 8

[ Edited ]

Try this FixIT

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/microsoftaccounts....

Then, try disabling the Windows Update service.

Press Win + R
Type services.msc /s
Look for Windows Update service and Double click on it and in the Startup type box select Disabled. Click Apply and OK.

Go to the Windows folder and rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder to "OldSoftwareDistribution"

Now try enabling the Windows Update service in Windows services.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6183
Message 2 of 10 (41,719 Views)

I have the same problem with my wife's account. Microsoft or Skype need to fix this.

kqusu97
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 10 (41,451 Views)

i tried this fix but am unable to rename the folder as it says it is in use.  i've tried using task mrg to shut everything off and it still says in use.  I can't seem to complete the fix without figuring out where or why the folder is in use.  thanks.

philipgk
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 10 (41,165 Views)

Have you tried to disabling the Windows update service?

temporary disable your antivirus software too.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 5 of 10 (41,146 Views)

I use the following tool to figure out who is locking the softwaredistribution folder (svchost.exe in my case)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896655.aspx

then i kill this process in the task manager and then i am able to rename the folder.

0 Kudos
hexiang
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 10 (40,793 Views)

Thank you for your feedback.
Regards,
Tamim

0 Kudos
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 7 of 10 (40,772 Views)

The message said error 0x800700b7

0 Kudos
flotsang
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 10 (34,896 Views)

flotsang,

Do you have any security software installed on the computer?

Regards,
Tamim

0 Kudos
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 9 of 10 (34,893 Views)

If you have still trouble installing the Skype for Windows 8 app from the Windows store may we ask you to leave a few details about your set up here so we can follow up:
http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-8-from-Windows-Store/Problems-installing-updating-Skype-Check-...
Thanks in advance.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 14221
Message 10 of 10 (32,945 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling