Can't download Skype from the WIndows 8 store

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Can't download Skype from the WIndows 8 store

I proceed from the "Get Skype for Windows 8" to "View in Windows Store", and when I click on the Install button, I get a message "Your purchase couldn't be completed" in large letters, and "something happened and your purchase can't be completed" underneath.

I have tried this repeatedly....help!!

ray_keogh
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 1 of 25 (19,568 Views)

Re: Can't download Skype from the WIndows 8 store

try this msaccounts troubleshooter

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/microsoftaccounts....

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
0 Kudos
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6089
Message 2 of 25 (19,549 Views)

Thank you for your response to my query.  I did down-load the troubleshooter, and the diagnostic that came back was "Turn on Synch for individual settings.  The following settings have synch turned off.  Personalization".

How do I do this, exactly?  I am new to W8, and I am not sure where this preference is located, and how to go about switching it on.

THank you for your help.

0 Kudos
ray_keogh
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 25 (19,534 Views)

[ Edited ]

Run the troubleshooter again and select Apply repairs automatically.

msaccountsts.PNG

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
0 Kudos
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 4 of 25 (19,529 Views)

Tamim, thanks, but when I run the msaccounts troubleshooter, I do not have this box as an option to select. It runs through the routine, says that the issue has been Detected, but there is no instruction how to apply repairs

I am getting suspicious of the Norton that is pre-installed on the machine: I can't find how to disable this, either!
ray_keogh
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 25 (19,521 Views)

update: ran the msaccount troubleshooter, found the "Apply Repairs Automatically" option (which I checked), then same result.

"Some settings have synch turned off" detected...but no advice how to turn them ON. Arrgh!
0 Kudos
ray_keogh
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 25 (19,520 Views)

[ Edited ]

Have you looked at the sync settings to make sure things are enabled?

WinKey + C >> Settings >> Sync your settings

Make sure Windows Firewall is turned on.

Press WinKey + R to open the Run window

WinKey (the button is located between the left Ctrl and Alt with the Windows logo)

winkey1.png

type: services.msc /s, and press ENTER.

Look for the Windows Firewall, and then double-click on it and Start the service.

disablefirewall.png

Regards,
Tamim

0 Kudos
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 7 of 25 (19,518 Views)

Thanks, but no good

"Windows can not find 'services.msc/s'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again."

This is a brand new Toshiba Sattelite running WIndows 8, BTW
0 Kudos
ray_keogh
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 25 (19,511 Views)

Please try again. There is a space after services.msc

services.msc /s

Regards,
Tamim

0 Kudos
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 9 of 25 (19,509 Views)

OK, I switched this setting to "Manual", and I still get the "Your purchase couldn't be completed" in large letters, and "something happened and your purchase can't be completed" underneath...please help
0 Kudos
ray_keogh
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 25 (19,506 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling