Hi! I just downloaded the latest Skype version for Mac (5.3). After I did that, the problems just kept stacking up. First of all, the normal skype "window" where you normally see both the person you are talking to and the video of yourself, is now just black. I can't see the person I am talking to or my self. However, when I go on to the internett, the "mini window" comes up on my screen where I can see the person I am talking to. This is just a tiny box though, and I can't make it any bigger. So the problem is then that I can't see my self, and I can only see a tiny video of the person I am talking to.
The other problem, which makes me sure that it really is something wrong with my skype, is that every time I hang up a video call, Skype will suddenly not work, it doesn't react (freezes) and I have to force quit Skype.
I am desperately in need for help. Is there anyone out there who can help a girl in need?
Try installing v2.8 of skype. It is superior in ev
I got the same problem, so it is nice to see yhat it is not only me, so I have sent a message to Skype and I will reinnstall the older version, thanks
I'd have to agree with the UI problems. I've been a long-time skype user on multiple platforms and pay for the latest and greatest skype goodies. The latest changes to the Mac user interface leave me in a place where the entire application is almost unusable. They are taking up more real estate and giving me fewer options. The locations of long-used views/tools has been hidden, moved, or in some cases entirely removed.
Please skype - listen to us and give us (back) a usable interface. You are making it hard for loyal users to remain so.
Back to 2.8 in Lion now and even can delete the history log!! No floating windows, no annoying logout messages...
Yet another user fed up with the interface of the new skype. Had to revert to 2.8.
- Window is too large
- Lack of hierarchy in contact list - hard to see who is online and who is offline/an address book contact
- Giant unified window is for some reason complemented by a bunch of floating huds that appear, call status, dialpad, the contact monitor etc etc... It's confusing. Why is the dialpad separate from the actual phone call?
- Why do I have to see contact images in the contact list??
- Coverflow mode??? Why not add a contact list expose and maybe an itunes-style visualizer for the call audio, maybe separate the window into several full-screen spaces. I'm sorry but even just seeing that coverflow button there annoys me enough to revert to 2.8.
I really feel like this version of skype was designed to be used on some kind of entertainment system where a user would be using skype from a distance of several meters or more. I cannot fathom any other reason why the design decisions took the interface and UX to where it is in comparison to 2.8.
I was hoping that the endless feedback given during the beta would help shape the UI but looks like it never happened and probably never will...
Before version 5, skype never crashed. Version five constantly crashes on Lion...on a new iMac...with tons of memory. Bah. After installing and reinstalling countless times...I gave up and went back to 2.8. If there was a different company to switch to, I would have left a year ago.
Coming from Windows, I am not impressed at all. I use Skype for local calls 20 hrs a week. My main issues here are-
- The dial button is too difficult to find- particularly needed when having to dial extensions/menus and when making a new call- it wastes a fair amount of time.
- No hotkeys for ending calls.
I do 2 conference calll meetings a week, i think there are alot of improvements that need to be made to make these functional, but the main thing annoying me on my Mac is-
- When making a group call, anyone who didn't answer stays on the main window, we can't tell who is online or not.alf the people in our group are on Macs and this makes it incredibly unmanageable.
- I can't see hOw to save groups of contacts to call either.