Re: turning off Skype Wifi

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

turning off Skype Wifi

I am using a MAC and the MAC version of Skype.

How do I completelu disable and turn off Skype Wifi?

I don't EVER want to use Skype Wifi. If I can't get a connection without Skype Wifi, then I don't want a connection.

How do I tell Skype to NEVER inform me of Skype Wifi and NEVER even attempt to make a Skype Wifi connection on my behalf.

If I cannot remove the Skpe Wifi option then I will just uninstall and abandon Skype.

I stumbled across this question on the Windows side and attempted to follow their directions, but apparently I offended them when I said that the Mac version had no ability to turn off the Skype Wifi. If the interface to Skype on Windows is so completely different than the Windows version, then Skype isn't a serious application with a team that is planning for the future.

So... Is there a way to disable the Skype Wifi BS on a mac?

Mike-the-Spike
Novel Tourist

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

You will find this option under Skype - Preferences - General.

Untick the first item which is "show status in menu bar".

It was driving me crazy too until I finally worked it out.

View solution in original post
pblanton
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 1 of 20 (4,463 Views)

Thank you for adressing this problem, I got the same issue with Skype WiFi.... Does anybody have a good solution how to switch it off? :robotmad:

T1onSkype
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 2 of 20 (4,435 Views)

I have the same issue. I have been stung by Skype WiFi charges when I clicked 'Connect' when Skype popped up, not realising that Skype was asking to connect a new feature that charged me per minute for internet access.

I want to turn this feature off and I want to send a complaint about the charges on my account for a service I never asked for. Unfortunately I cannot work out how to do either from the skype support forums. It seems we can only ask questions and vent on the forums and hope that someone might grant our wishes.

JohnCHawkins
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 20 (4,382 Views)

Isn't it telling that Skype has not answered that question yet? There is no turn off Skype wifi button. They want you to accidentally connect to Skype wifi and slam you with the charges. There is no warning that you are paying for the connection, nothing. Since this is a system which takes money out of my wallet without my authorization I call this systematic theft. Be warned ... Skype is stealing money from you.

Beluram
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 20 (4,345 Views)

It was driving me crazy too until I finally worked it out.

Mike-the-Spike
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 5 of 20 (4,326 Views)

How does this answer the question? The status icon has nothing to do with skype wifi.

You can disable it on windows, there's no option on the mac.

Ford
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 6 of 20 (4,155 Views)

hi guys, on my version 6.6.0 i can go to tools --> options --> general --> skype wifi and the on the right i can untick "enable skype wifi".

hope it helps!

dadamantium201
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 20 (3,902 Views)

Works with Windows, but not an option on a Mac.
--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
mkichaa
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 341
Message 8 of 20 (3,896 Views)

I find it not accaptable that there is no option to deactivate Skype Wifi.

I am in a hotel and have a free account for using the hotels WiFi.

Accidentally I used my Skype credit to use the WiFi.  Wasted some money before I noticed. 

Skype WiFi should be turned off by default!

felix.binsack
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 20 (3,554 Views)

I've seen several posts on different threads from Mac users about this - usually sounding irritated because they have evidently inadvertantly connected to Skype WiFi when they didn't want to and lost credit. The responses from forum moderators seem often to border on rudeness and the information that, on a Mac, you simply can't turn off Skype WiFi is slow to emerge, only after scolding for being on the wrong forum etc. So far I've found no explanation as to why this option is not provided to Mac users. (Skype belongs to Microsoft doesn't it?). I can vouch that this is a real problem. I have recently been connected inadvertantly to Skype Wifi in a hotel and charged a significant chunk of credit when I thought I was connecting to the free hotel wifi. In addition the unwanted Skype wifi pop-up repeatedly stops you from connecting to the wifi you want to by knocking you off the necessary login page. I therefore believe that this is not being fixed as a deliberate policy to deceive Mac users out of Skype credit and I request a full explanation as to why this is not so if indeed that is the case.

adamhrf
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 20 (1,586 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling