"Skype wants to use your confidential information ...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

"Skype wants to use your confidential information stored in skype in your keychain

Please can someone help with this. I have been a skype user for some time but have been receiving the following pop up window since yesterday:

"Skype wants to use kyour confidential information stored in 'skype' in your keychain"

If you choose the Deny option Skype will not open.  Is this legitimate or some kind of malware.  I have run Sophos which hasn't found anything.  

If this is coming from Skype can they please issue a statement saying so, if not please give a warning.

I am really not sure whether I can use any more and may just return to Facetime.

sanachnaa
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 9 (7,718 Views)

Re: "Skype wants to use your confidential information stored in skype in your keychain

I'm not from Skype but its legit. OS X will display the warning if a new or updated program attempts to access your keychain. Keychain is part of OS X which consolidates saved passwords and security certificates. I get the warning each time Skype updates and the new version attempts to accesses my login password the first time. If you click "Always Allow" it will quit pestering you. 

To quote from the Apple support forums:

"Your keychain is where OS X stores all system confidential information such as your admin password. If you eliminate the Keychain then you no longer can logon to your computer. The keychain is protected by strong encryption. It's an excellent place to store confidential information.

You may not use the Keychain specifically, but applications on your computer do use it. What [Skype] is doing is asking your permission to get the login information for your [Skype] account. This is only for login purposes. Nothing is provided elsewhere. It is secure."

Hope that helps. :happy:

brycehug
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 2 of 9 (7,629 Views)

Re: "Skype wants to use your confidential information stored in skype in your keychain

This message started appearing for me too. I didn't understand it...so I always clicked "deny". It doesn't lock me out of anything....IF I click "deny" twice. Then it logs me in. I just hve the annoying message appear everytime I log in to Skype. Double click. I think this started when I let my system update to the newer version of Skype--whick I did not and do not like. The way it used to display contacts, for some reason, I preferred. But getting used to it. It is so threatening to read "use your confidentialinformation".

Jazznme222
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 9 (6,537 Views)

Hi Guys,
I had the same issue, I found a simple solution to not to face those 10 messages of "Always Allow" every time that I open Skype.app, First, execute your keychan Access, search SKYPE, two keys will appeared in my case, then dobleclick over one of them, go to Access Control tab, then select "Allow all Applications to Access this Item", repeat the same process for the other key, that's it, Second, in case that you have the same problem with the "Skype wants to access to you contacts", you have to go to System Preference pane, select Security and Privacy icon, then Privacy tab, select Contacts in the list on the left had side, finally uncheck Skype.app from the right side list. I don't know how much I'm exposing my system doing this but at least I will not have to deal with this annoying situations anymore.

Jerryher01
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 4 of 9 (1,510 Views)

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU Jerryher01, you've made my day and stopped me from punching my computer screen everytime I want to open skype!

xenicraft
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 5 of 9 (1,198 Views)

" What [Skype] is doing is asking your permission to get the login information for your [Skype] account. This is only for login purposes. Nothing is provided elsewhere. It is secure."

If that were true, why didn't they say that?   It is sooo annoying and I am not giving Skype / Microsoft access to my Keychain. 

For a start, I don't use Keychain!

Aggh!

gerri123
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 9 (751 Views)

Everyone uses keychain. It's an integral part of OS X. All your certificates and passwords you have checked the box to say "save my password" are stored here. This doesn't include third party apps, just the OS
Posted from Apple iPhone
xenicraft
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 7 of 9 (746 Views)

Hello sanachnaa,

This is just your computer wanting to store password information in the keychain so that if you forget it you can recover your password through Apple and your preferences with the Admin password.

.InsertNameHere

.InsertNameHere
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 9 (720 Views)

I think you are all missing the point. Microsoft did not announce this nor explain it  and it defeats the privacy and Security of Keychain. 

Besides I do not use Keychain, but the methods people describe here to stop the never ending requests to use Keychain, gives Microsoft access. 

Microsoft/ Skype did not publish my last reply, instead sent a solution - but it didn't work. 

gerri123
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 9 (606 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling