Re : my mac says, Can't create a lock file" when I...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

my mac says, Can't create a lock file" when I clicked on skype in the applications folder

tungsten859
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 12 (14,510 Views)

Re : my mac says, Can't create a lock file" when I clicked on skype in the applications folder

Hi there,

You probably don't have enough space on your HD for the application to start up.

Clean out a few files before trying again.

Hth

On ne regarde pas l'avenir dans un rétroviseur ! :wink:
IMac Intel Core i3 3.2 GHz - RAM 12 GB - OS 10.9.4
Skype 2.8.0.866 + 6.19.0.442
Logitech usb headset or Jabra 250 bt
Foyan
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1029
Message 2 of 12 (14,281 Views)

Re : my mac says, Can't create a lock file" when I clicked on skype in the applications folder

Same problem.

OS 10.7.1, 61,63 GB available.

That should be enough.

FtCollinsWindsu
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 12 (14,164 Views)

same problem. I have tons of memory, so that's not the problem

edwinellis1
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 12 (13,191 Views)

How do you clean up a few files?

lsuchov
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 12 (12,467 Views)

I had this issue after I changed permissions on my mac.  Repairing permissions didn't help either.  What fixed it was the following:

1. locate your skype folder using finder (it should be under: ~your username/library/application support/)

2. create a new folder called skype_old

3. drag the whole skype folder into skype_old so that it is one level lower than it used to be

4. click on your skype icon to run skype.  It should bring up a first use screen, and in the background it will recreate the skype directory next to skype_old

5. close down skype

6. using finder, look inside skype_old/skype for the folder with your skype user name, and drag it into the new skype directory

7. restart skype and it should find your user name and let you log in.

If you have more than one skype user name, repeat steps 6 and 7.  This should get you going again. 

greg1cronulla
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 12 (11,024 Views)

Re : my Mac says, Can't create a lock file" when I clicked on skype in the applications folder

I'm having the same error message. However I do not have the "skype folder" you mention in your directions above. The only skype files on my computer are the icon in the applications folder and the downloaded file that prompts me to drag that icon into the applications folder. Help!

ckelley
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 12 (9,767 Views)

Re: Re : my Mac says, Can't create a lock file" when I clicked on skype in the applications fol

My guess is that you have used the search feature in Finder to locate your Skype files/folders.  This won't work.  Instead, in Finder, click on the folder that bears the name you gave the computer when you set it up, then click Go at the top of Finder, choose Go To Folder from the drop down list and then type in Library.  Under there will be Applications Support and Skype will be under that.  Alternatively, in Finder, click on the folder that bears the name you gave the computer when you set it up and you should then see folders such as Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Library etc.  Click on that Library folder and you'll be able to see Applications Support under it.  The Skype folder you want should be under that folder.

greg1cronulla
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 12 (9,759 Views)

Re: Re : my Mac says, Can't create a lock file" when I clicked on skype in the applications fol

In Lion and Mountain Lion, the Skype folder is hidden.  You can reveal it from the Finder by clicking CMD-Shift-G.

--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
mkichaa
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 303
Message 9 of 12 (9,755 Views)

Re: Re : my Mac says, Can't create a lock file" when I clicked on skype in the applications folder

Thanks. I do have lion, and I can search when I do CMD-Shift-G, but when I type in skype it says the folder cannot be found. Also, when I just go in through my library to applications support, there is nothing there either.

ckelley
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 12 (9,711 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling