Re: iMessage for Mac is out! Skype better start li...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

iMessage for Mac is out! Skype better start listening

To all those people at Skype,

Thank you for ignoring all our advice and criticisms with your, frankly rubbish interface in Skype 5.

With the new iMessage out on Mac (available on Apple's website), finally a credible alternative to your (until recently) admittedly indispensible application is now out.

I fear (but know) that if you do not listen to our concerns and change this horrendous UI, you may be about to lose a colossal amount of users. Not that we might care very soon.

Ignore this message at your own peril!

b13o0r12e3
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 1 of 7 (7,681 Views)

Re: iMessage for Mac is out! Skype better start listening

[ Edited ]

True, but until Messages can provide a way to chat and video-call cross-platform, and place voice calls to both mobiles and landlines, then I'm afraid that we're stuck with Skype for Mac.

harrissjt
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 30
Message 2 of 7 (7,499 Views)

In fact imessages do have cross-platform-video. It uses google chat and i tried just today to call my friend over it.
mikethepurple
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 7 (7,429 Views)

Great news.  What's the sound/video quality like?

harrissjt
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 30
Message 4 of 7 (7,394 Views)

AGREED. The moment I find something that does what I need without Skype, I am ditching this lowsy GUI for something faster, smaller (screen-space), and shows important information like WHO IS ONLINE, not all kinds of unnecessary rubbish.

jonathankomar
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 7 (2,574 Views)

MisterB
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 256
Message 6 of 7 (2,514 Views)

I appreciate your response staff moderator, but I have you read the comments on the site you just recommended? The new Skype is quite a disappointment. That little CMD+3 does not count. It is not useful and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get chat windows to shrink down. They still take up way too much room. The best part about this for you is, you already have a working model, Skype 2.8! 

Like many comments say, I am sticking to Skype 2.8 until something gets changed.

jonathankomar
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 7 (2,508 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling