Why I cant download skype for Mac OS X 10.7.5 ?!

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Why I cant download skype for Mac OS X 10.7.5 ?!

[ Edited ]

tonychemman , This may be because when you run a different version of Skype it has to update files (usually it says when it is doing this and happens if you are going to a newer or older version) and until that happens Skype may still see the old data and not know what version you are running. The second time you start up this is not a problem as the files are updated. I ran into this when I was trying different versions of Skype too.

By the way I tried the little snitch fix and 2.8 would not sign in because it could not contact Skype servers. If I allowed contact either via little snitch or manually I got the please update BS. Apparently Skype is checking what version you are using before it allows you to sign in.

imazmaz
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 11 of 25 (2,594 Views)

Today, my Skype refused me access for similar reasons telling me to download the latest version.  However, the latest Mac version requires 10.9 and I am running 10.5.8.  I am not going out to spend hundreds of $$ upgrading to a higher operating system which then in turn would create problems with other programs that would not run on it.  I have two computers now locked out of Skype.  Is this a direct plan by Microsoft to force users into expensive alternatives?  I can not even find a link to contact them for assistance?  As such, I can not longer use Skype to stay in touch with my family and friends.  Why would a company be so short-sighted as this??????

cedusa
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 12 of 25 (2,584 Views)

So what if like me, I'm perfectly happy with my mac 10.5.8 version ? No more skype ? And what about my credit, I just lose it ? I'd prefer to be able to use an older version of skype. Is that not possible at all ?

snailtank
Novel Tourist
Message 13 of 25 (2,572 Views)

This solution doesn't work. When the client tells you to download Skype, you get the version for OSX 10.9 when on OSX 10.7. What you download has a strike-through sign on it signalling that it doesn't work on 10.7.5. I really tried. In the end the only solution is to block access to ui.skype.com in the firewall or /etc/hosts and then use the old client. (I had first copied that to another name so it would not be overwritten). The solution doesn't work or no longer works.
RogerWilco_
Casual Adventurer
Message 14 of 25 (2,565 Views)

RogerWilco_  I don't know why you cannot download Skipe 6.15.xxx which works with OS 10.7.5 as several of other have reported (tonychemman for example). I went to the Skype download page to get my copy rather than click on the Skype message to update to 6.3.xxx. Maybe that's the difference. That way I was only given the choice to download 6.15.xxx.

If you go here you can manually choose 6.15 to down load:

http://macdownload.informer.com/skype/download/

Also I tired the solution to block only the "ui.skype.com" connection using little snitch and that does work for me too - I'm able to use 2.8.xxx this way. Before I had blocked all connections which did not work. Anyway now I can use 2.8.xxx or 6.15.xxxx which ever I choose. I choose 2.8.xxx.

imazmaz
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 15 of 25 (2,552 Views)

Cedusa: just a heads up that snow leopard (10.6, compatible with Skype) is $29 (search for snow leopard at store.apple.com) and once you have that installed, if you want to go up to Mavericks. It's a free download from the Mac App Store (you get the App Store once you install snow leopard)
Posted from Apple iPhone
Elchicano99
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 16 of 25 (2,542 Views)

imazmaz wrote:

[Removed for privacy] , This may be because when you run a different version of Skype it has to update files (usually it says when it is doing this and happens if you are going to a newer or older version) and until that happens Skype may still see the old data and not know what version you are running. The second time you start up this is not a problem as the files are updated. I ran into this when I was trying different versions of Skype too.

By the way I tried the little snitch fix and 2.8 would not sign in because it could not contact Skype servers. If I allowed contact either via little snitch or manually I got the please update BS. Apparently Skype is checking what version you are using before it allows you to sign in.

Thanks imazmaz for the possible reason why it took 2 attempts to get version 6.15 to work.   :happy:

tonychemman
Novel Adventurer
Message 17 of 25 (2,534 Views)

What about if my MAC is OSX 10.5.8?

Jaclyn83
Novel Adventurer
Message 18 of 25 (2,500 Views)

Hi there, the same story, I downloaded Skype_6.15.0.334 for my Mac OSX 10.7.5 and every time it stops working while trying to start skype.. Allready spent several  hours no result. Before indtalling I clean the system with CleanMyMac. Please help. Thanks

icefster
Casual Tourist
Message 19 of 25 (2,479 Views)

If you are running an earlier version of skype for mac, try this.

In Applications, right click on Skype.app, Show Package contents. In Contents, make a backup copy of info.plist, then edit the original info.plist, use Xcode.app, textedit, vi, vim, whatever.

Look for CFBundleVersion, change it to 6.15.0.334 and save the info.plist.

Skype will now think it is the latest version, and will not prevent you from signing in.

Skype 6.15 is the latest version it forced me to download on OS X 10.7.5. I edited the info.plist on the earlier version I had. If you have a different OS version, it may force you to download a different version. I only have my own system to experiment with, but its all working just as it did previously now.

PaulMcG
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 20 of 25 (2,473 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling