Using MacBook Pro Internal Camera: No Video Showin...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using MacBook Pro Internal Camera: No Video Showing

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm trying to use Skype though my Macbook Pro and they video is not showing.  When I go into "Preferences", then "Audio/Video", the box on the bottom is black.  It only shows me the one camera option "Facetime HD Camera Built-In".  The camera does work on Google Chat and Facetime.

Any ideas!

Thank you! :happy: 

greenrach
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 12 (31,783 Views)

Re: Using MacBook Pro Internal Camera: No Video Showing

Had exact same problem.  By accident, we found that the video will work perfectly if you select one of the Skype menus and leave the menu visible.  Obviously a sub-optimal solution but it worked.  On the next call, it wasn't necessary to have the menu open and the call worked as expected.  Some weird software issue with Facetime HD camera because the iSight on the other end has had no problems since the upgrade to 5.3.0.1093.  Incidently, all the contact photos on the newer MacBookPro disappeared after the upgrade as well but didn't on the older MacBookPro.

paulnmia
Novel Tourist
Message 2 of 12 (31,765 Views)

I'm having the same problem, but the "open menus" option doesn't seem to work. I've a new MacBook Pro 13 (w/Lion) and have used Skype (which we LOVE) on this and other machines successfully. The problem started when I got a call while my old PowerBook G4 17" was on, and Skype tried to start up there as well. Since that machine has no camera (and I didn't have the little auxiliary camera plugged in), maybe it messed up the MacBook Pro implementation somehow.

I need help! Can't see EITHER grandkid w/o Skype!

bobknisely
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 12 (31,742 Views)

BTW, I went to check out the FaceTime Camera, and IT'S working just fine! I've got a SKYPE problem. Sigh.
bobknisely
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 12 (31,740 Views)

Not working for me, either. And I'm using 6.3.0.602. Stopped suddenly a couple of weeks ago - right when I upgraded to this software. So, it seems a way bigger problem than Microsoft realised and they need to fix it! BTW, I tried all the solutions everyone (including Skype) suggested and nothing works!

martinakeeley
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 5 of 12 (25,999 Views)

I'm having the oppisoit problem, I'm using a Logitech C930 and can't find where in this mac that I can select an auxuliary camera.  It only uses the internal camera.  I've looked at the Logitech software, where it has a drop down to select the camera, but when Skyping only the Mac's camera operates?

vidman
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 12 (25,268 Views)

Awesome that the official support are responding to these posts. :/

dangerousdave12
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 12 (23,566 Views)

I found this information quite helpful

Try this. It worked for me.

With the computer off, using the left side of the keyboard press and hold;

Shift
Control
Option
and the power key for 5 seconds

then let go of them all at the same time

Nothing will appear to have happened- Turn your computer back on and open facetime- YEAAAAH Buddy! Just worked on mine and feel its my duty to tell others. No clue how to post in all. Thanks to a sweet girl named Rachel at Applecare

Posted from Apple iPhone
Jedidiah
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 8 of 12 (13,409 Views)

This worked for me, too!  You get a somewhat scary noise as the MacBook powers up, but the camera starts working again.  :bigsmile:

RadioGuy
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 12 (12,921 Views)

Had the same problem, only worse: even FaceTime wasn't able to recognize the camera. Tryed this and worked beautifully. Thanks! :(y):

louise_araujo
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 12 (9,510 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling