Upgrade support for users on 10.5 and above

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrade support for users on 10.5 and above

[ Edited ]

Hello Skype Community,

Those of you that have been using older versions of Skype for Mac until now have recently seen a prompt to upgrade Skype when trying to sign in. More information on why we are retiring older version here: http://blogs.skype.com/2014/07/16/update-skype-now-to-improve-your-experience/

There was some confusion on which Skype version is supported on which OS X version. TLDR:

Skype is available on OS X 10.5 - 10.8 and there is no need to upgrade to Mavericks.

See below for which Skype version to use per OS X version your are on:

OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" 

Just use latest Skype version: 6.19 from www.skype.com/go/download

OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard", 10.7 "Lion" & 10.8 "Mountain Lion"

Latest version is 6.15.x.335 from http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-mac/downloading/ 

This is a solid release and you can still use all of the main features (i.e. group video, group chats, screen sharing etc). NB: only use the link above, it serves you with a correct update for your OS version. Direct links (to DMG files) can work, but are not guaranteed to do so.

OS X 10.5 "Leopard"

Latest version is 6.3.x.604 from http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-mac/downloading/

NB: Only Intel-based Macs are supported.

That said, we still encourage you to stay up to date, meaning upgrading to Mavericks and getting the latest Skype available for your operating system.

If you have problems updating, please let us know in this thread and the community will try to help you.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 12837
Message 1 of 149 (6,361 Views)

Re: Upgrade support for users on 10.5 and above

Thanks for the update. It was very informative.

When can we expect the Leopard compatible version of Skype? I'm only asking because your note said "soon".

GarshaMan
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 2 of 149 (6,319 Views)

Glad to hear that there's a 10.5 version in the works.  Hope it doesn't take too long.

zangano
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 3 of 149 (6,313 Views)

Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 12837
Message 4 of 149 (6,303 Views)

I am using Panther (10.5.:cool:.  Would the one for Leopard (that you are about to post for download) work for me?  Thanks.  

screechingbird
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 149 (6,266 Views)

I'll be happy to get skype back on my very old secondary laptop that still must remain on 10.5.8 ... it cannot be updated, so at least I'll be able to get my skype back. In the future, I hope you'll make sure NOT to disable a previous version of skype until you've verified that the new downloaded version will install on that person's configuration. It should just say sorry, you can't update your version of skype, not disable your current working version and then say that.

hereIam
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 19
Message 6 of 149 (6,266 Views)

Here is a solution that has worked for a number of people using older versions of Skype on older versions of OS X. Apparently the skype admins are not interested in workarounds.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/skype-doesnt-let-me-connect-as-it-says-outdated-version/m-p/348908...

PaulMcG
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 7 of 149 (6,260 Views)

In circle of hell with Skype.

Got message to download new version when I clicked on icon as I normally do.

Have tried 5 times now to download and install, carefully following instructions each time.

New version does not load, nor does it replace original version.

My MacBook Air is using;

Why does not he new version load

Thank you

le_Loup
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 8 of 149 (6,197 Views)

"There was some confusion . . . "? Skype announced it was dropping support for anything but Mac OS 10.9/Mavericks. This is not confusion, it's gross incompetence.

Also, have you tried to buy a copy of Mac OS 10.5? I'm on 10.4. Why is that not supported?

Atleasttwochara
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 9 of 149 (6,191 Views)

If you can't wait try this...

http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/Forced-Upgrading/m-p/3487915#M69014

Worked for me.

MacOSX10.5.8
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 149 (6,098 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling