The Obvious: Skype Interface on the Mac Sucks

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: The Obvious: Skype Interface on the Mac Sucks

this UI is the beginning of the end.

axwx78
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 51 of 138 (1,425 Views)

+1 for a compact window mode and while you're at it, how about making the list UI remember where I set the columns to? Sheesh, doesn't even remember them when switching between "Online", "Skype" etc. when in the list view.
steveax
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 52 of 138 (1,410 Views)

Absolutely - I just can understand the autistic approach to customer "satisfaction" from Skype - V5 is now in it's 7th iteration and still barely usable despite the huge outcry of the user community. This is beyond comprehension. Microsoft, Skype, however reads this; SKYPE FOR MAC v5 IS A PIECE OF CRAP. I don't like using strong language lightly but there is nothing else to it. Please get your acts together and at the very least plug the glaring holes reported over and over again. I have tried to propose constructive solutions since beta time to no avail - hugely frustrating.
atakacs
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 14
Message 53 of 138 (1,393 Views)

At least you all can use SKYPE if not very well. I can't even do that. All I can get when I login is my own profile and the service information pages. If I click on any links I get asked to Login. I can't access my contacts or open a video chat window or sms link or anything. Thankfully I still have my windows laptop next to my iMac so I will just keep using that till it finally craps out.

Montybob3
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 54 of 138 (1,377 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here is one more complaint from a Mac user agreeing with all the previous complaints. The current Skype window takes up too large a large portion of the screen, and I cannot reduce the size as I could with previous versions.  Those on-line are not now at the top of the listing. Also, the status icons in the menu bar were previously the same as on the skype screen, but now, instead of the green blob with the yellow check mark, its a black blog with a white check mark.  None of these changes were improvements. 

Previous versions were better designed. The transparent Online Contacts window helps, but its not as good as the previous main window design. 

lamyrv
Novel Adventurer
Message 55 of 138 (1,339 Views)

Please don't take this as a patronising remark but it seems as though you are on the Skype page and not in the Skype application.
rwakeford
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 156
Message 56 of 138 (1,327 Views)

For the screen you can drag the bottom right corner and it becomes a lot smaller. On my 17" macbook pro it goes to about one tenth the screen size. If you don't want any screen click CMD 3 and you get a small contacts monitor screen and the main Skype screen will be hidden. It only shows online contacts though.
To get all on line contacts to the top just click on the Status bar and they'll go there. The same with names. Click on the name bar and you'll get alphabetical starting with A or Z.
I couldn't agree more about the status icon on the menu bar though but that was because of other inveterate moaners on this forum and Skype gave in to their wishes. Shame. A choice would be good to please everyone.
There are still lots of bad things with 5.7 but I'd not go back to 2.8 because the video is far better.
rwakeford
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 156
Message 57 of 138 (1,327 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is the worst interface ever. THE WORST.

Why is the contacts bar with the message window, it whores up the entire screen without reason. Why is the "contacts bar" now a history bar. Why can't I have all my contacts listed without giant bloody pictures from A-Z on the sidebar instead of a "history" of people I recently chatted with. And even if I have to go through my contacts to see who's online the lines are huge for ZERO reason: they're fat and large, as if skype thinks I'm blind. Why can't we have a seperate window for who's online and a seperate window for who we're chatting with. Why is the top bar so freaking huge? Why on earth does it have to be this terrible? I want to physically harm whoever was responsible for this garbage (no I don't).

I don't understand what's going through your heads UI devs of skype, but nothing here is innovating or user friendly. This is a mess and it needs to be fixed.

polkunus
Novel Tourist
Message 58 of 138 (1,297 Views)

oldapps.com only has PC downloads, not Mac.

montylee
Casual Adventurer
Message 59 of 138 (1,286 Views)

[invalid URL] is for the Mac OS--as least as of 45 seconds ago.

--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
mkichaa
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 331
Message 60 of 138 (1,280 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling