Skype through proxy

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype through proxy

How do I configure skype to work through a proxy on a mac? The proxy I am using works fine on windows but skype refuses to connect under mac. I have checked to make sure that the proxy is setup correctly under mac's network settings. Please help me with this.

vaninder
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 1 of 18 (9,197 Views)

Re: Skype through proxy

I believe there is no help for us Mac Users on Corporate Networks, the developers for the app need to add proxy awareness to the Mac version of the App, just like they did for the PC version.  *is holding breath wondering if this will get addressed*

dudet
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 2 of 18 (9,130 Views)

I`m having the same problem.

But I don't know why, but my skype, kinda worked for a couple of minutes, then, it stoped working.
inson
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 18 (9,102 Views)

I am also having this problem - traffic is restricted on my network to port 80 & 443 but there doesn't seem to be the option to fallback on these ports in the mac version either.

didlo
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 18 (9,098 Views)

Same situation for me too.

I can also connect to skype through proxy network on Windows but not on Mac OSX Lion.

If I connect to any other network on Mac which is not under proxy, then skype connects.

It would have been so great if Skype team could add a proxy settings like "Dropbox" or something like that.

Really really lokking for ward to use Skype on Mac as all other Mac users.

ciril
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 5 of 18 (8,888 Views)

Same problem! Is it possible to know when this problem will be fixed!?!?

savonarola
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 18 (8,019 Views)

Can we get official work from Skype staff/developers regarding this issue. If this is the only support channel for Skype, its next to useless if the only replies are from other Skype users saying "Me too!".

What's the official word devs? Or are Microsoft going to let this die and suggest we use Lync instead?

memnoch
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 18 (7,242 Views)

i have this problem too

[invalid URL]

iamking
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 18 (7,239 Views)

[ Edited ]

As the push for consumerization of IT continues, Skype is now being listed as a “business required” application by the organizations that use Macs in my enterprise. Our Mac clients sit behind a fairly nice and configurable proxy server that, because of the nature of our business, ALL traffic needs to be funneled through. We cannot simply open outgoing ports to make Skype happy, a difficult thing to explain to end users. Now, through our troubleshooting, we have Skype on Windows 7 working through our proxy. So at this point, it is down to a Skype Mac client issue.

JWelhouse
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 18 (7,041 Views)

Seeing as though there doesn't seem to be any official Skype help filtering through to this thread, here's a solution that I've found to fix the same problem you guys are having.

Ditch the latest Skype version (5.7...) and install an earlier version. I used 5.1.0.935 which I found at http://mac.oldapps.com/skype.php?old_skype=41

This doesn't seem to have any problems working through our company proxy server.

Then ignore any dialogue messages that promt you to update to the new version.

Hope that helps.

macmonkeyuk
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 10 of 18 (6,989 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling