Skype on Mac causes Overheat

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype on Mac causes Overheat

So for about a month now, when I use Skype on my Macbook Pro, I've noticed it causes my laptop to Serriously overheat. I mean to the point of the CPU getting as high as 80 degrees (hot to the touch) while having 2 high RPM (2300) fans from a cooling pad and a normal fan running at a high setting on it. Skype is the ONLY program that does this, not even high-process games cause my computer to overheat to this degree. If left running, skype will crash, I force quit, but when I re-open skype will tell me "Skype is already running" which makes no sense. There has even been an instance where I've had to force shutdown my computer after skype refused to force quit.

If this isn't a problem skype plans on fixing within other patches/releases, could someone point me in the right direction of a heavy-duty cooling pad/system for a 17" MBP? I'm tempted to start duct-taping an ice pack to the computer at this point.

ScribeT
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (1,009 Views)

Re: Skype on Mac causes Overheat

Try an older version it worked for me

Kwales1966
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 5 (1,005 Views)

I've seen other macbooks do this as well and not just with Skype.  overheat, lock up system resources etc.

I have found a solution that generally works well for me

shutdown, reset SMC, and then IMMEDIATLY before rebooting reset PRAM several times.  

I suspect it's a stuck bit in SMC that keeps getting reloaded after startup into PRAM upon startup.. but can't prove it. 

search apple.com if you don't already know how to reset your SMC & PRAM

SMC ( System Management Controller ) is how the Mac controls battery discharge, charge, fan, temp sensors, USB, etc.. ) 

sgallant04
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 34
Message 3 of 5 (1,003 Views)

Hi,

I have the same issue and so far I have not been to solve it. I have Mountain Lion on my macbook pro.  My CPU gets 80 degrees and my fan speed goes up to 6000. Then I quit Skype because I do not want to damage my mac (my work depends on it). 

I have done the following:

1-I have removed the cash file in ~/Library/Cash/com.skype 

2- I have removed the skype folder in ~/Library/Application Support

3- I have removed the plist file in the library

4- I have installed the old version of Skype (after I completely removed the new one).

I have reset my SMC and my PRAM

and none of the above attemps worked. Well installing an older version of skype was the first thing that I tried. It worked for a few days and then it started to OVERHEAT again so I did all of the above procedure (based on what I found on web) 

Any idea what to do? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP !

I have an important meeting tomorrow and I must use Skype for it (not my choice ). 

Skype! Please please fix this issue ! It is frustraiting .. I need Skype for thos meeting but I have moved to google hangouts mostly simply because I was frustrated with Skype .. 

LilyLily
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 5 (534 Views)

I use a USB key w/ a copy of Linux Mint  on it for software testing.  

When I have trouble with a Mac like what your describing I simply reboot the Mac into Linux Mint and try Skype.  If no trouble it's software easy to fix w/ a backup and OS re-install. 

If trouble continues I start looking at hardware.

Have you tried an app like AppDelete or AppZapper to try to fully remove Skype from your Mac

One last footnote. I have several friends with Macs who surf....well let's just say not safe for kids sites... and LO!.. if they don't have the weirdest trouble on their mac like what your describing runs hot, battery won't charge right dies quick, fans super high etc.  

I have cleared that condition EVERY time 

shutdown

reset SMC

DON"T REBOOT yet.. first

reboot clearing PRAM/NVRAM the chime keeps sounding while you hold down the appropriate keys 

I hold down the keys until the chime sounds 4 or 5 times then..

release PRAM resetting keys

allow mac to boot normallyy

Ta-Da! no hot fans, short battery, jumpy trackpad

..then i tell people don't surf those foul sites!   did you? or somebody who has access to your mac surf foul sites.. i'm not positive but I think it's essentially a nuscience, mild malware attempt on the Mac . setting bad values in EFI.  Remember the SMC controlls the USB hub and attached devices and power/battery management ( think FANS ) if EFI is corrupted of tinkered with upon normal boot those values will be read and SET during shutdown in NVRAM/PRAM

The clue for me that the condition is LOW level bug, was on a dual boot Mac..Windows7 displayed the same trouble.. it was either LOW level software ( EFI ) or hardware faults

sgallant04
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 34
Message 5 of 5 (522 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling