Skype on Mac causes Overheat

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Skype on Mac causes Overheat

So for about a month now, when I use Skype on my Macbook Pro, I've noticed it causes my laptop to Serriously overheat. I mean to the point of the CPU getting as high as 80 degrees (hot to the touch) while having 2 high RPM (2300) fans from a cooling pad and a normal fan running at a high setting on it. Skype is the ONLY program that does this, not even high-process games cause my computer to overheat to this degree. If left running, skype will crash, I force quit, but when I re-open skype will tell me "Skype is already running" which makes no sense. There has even been an instance where I've had to force shutdown my computer after skype refused to force quit.

If this isn't a problem skype plans on fixing within other patches/releases, could someone point me in the right direction of a heavy-duty cooling pad/system for a 17" MBP? I'm tempted to start duct-taping an ice pack to the computer at this point.

ScribeT
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 3 (357 Views)

Re: Skype on Mac causes Overheat

Try an older version it worked for me

Kwales1966
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 3 (353 Views)

Re: Skype on Mac causes Overheat

I've seen other macbooks do this as well and not just with Skype.  overheat, lock up system resources etc.

I have found a solution that generally works well for me

shutdown, reset SMC, and then IMMEDIATLY before rebooting reset PRAM several times.  

I suspect it's a stuck bit in SMC that keeps getting reloaded after startup into PRAM upon startup.. but can't prove it. 

search apple.com if you don't already know how to reset your SMC & PRAM

SMC ( System Management Controller ) is how the Mac controls battery discharge, charge, fan, temp sensors, USB, etc.. ) 

sgallant04
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 3 of 3 (351 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling