Re: Skype Search Contact list function

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

shane7 wrote:

This doesn't work for me at all. When I search for a contact (such as "Kathy" in the previous example), the contact only shows up in the context of a "coversation" -- and when I hit enter, or click that conversation, no name is displayed... just a screen showing a "conversation" (really just a call log) between myself and a single number (for anyone in my addressbook contacts, but not my skype contacts).  

The green call arrow just says "call".  

Could you maybe make a screenshot? Feel free to send it by private message if you do not want it displayed.

I am not sure I fully understand the situation, but from what it looks like, it would seem that the contact from your address book is returned before the contact in your contact list?

--
Thibault
Skype for Mac Engineer

Please do not send me a private message about your crashes: do that in the main forums instead.
If Skype is crashing, please check this thread.
If this doesn't fix your problem, please check how to report a crash/hang, or any other issue
Thibault
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 100
Message 11 of 26 (289 Views)

[ Edited ]

See my post in a similar thread here, in which I include screenshots.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/Contacts-search-is-RETARDED/m-p/1800491#M57392

(Or if that link doesn't display properly, if you search the forum for "Contacts search is retarded" it should come up).  

Incidentally - another set of functionality that seems to have been lost is -- when I get a call from a contact to my Skype In number, where my computer used to audibly speak the contact name (or show the contact name) on the screen -- it now just shows a number so that it's impossible to tell who is calling. 

Any suggestions as to why the development moved to bias Skype toward a "skype directory" rather than our computer (ipad/iphone/android addressbooks?). As developers you should know that users addressbooks (mac, PC, phone, etc.) -- are all syncing cloud based -- and that using yet ANOTHER service with a separate addressbook makes no sense.

I'm SO frustrated.  I've used skype for years as my main contact number... but the development  (integration with facebook, divergence from addressbooks, etc.) has been making things worse, not better... 

shane7
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 19
Message 12 of 26 (272 Views)

I have replied to your post to try to make a bit more sense of what is happening :happy:

I guess the wording "Skype Directory" is not very clear. It is not a cloud service that we started offering or anything. It a service that has pretty much always been there as it is just the search for "Skype contacts" (with Skype IDs, not phone numbers). Basically, it is what you would use when you want to add a Skype contact, not really anything else.

If I understand your other concern, are you saying that say you have a contact (Skype or Address Book) named "John Smith" his phone number set to "+1 123 456 7890".

When he calls you, you used to see "John Smith", but now, you only see "+1 123 456 7890" even though the contact correctly has the same number assigned to it?

--
Thibault
Skype for Mac Engineer

Please do not send me a private message about your crashes: do that in the main forums instead.
If this doesn't fix your problem, please check how to report a crash/hang, or any other issue
Thibault
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Message 13 of 26 (261 Views)

Yes re: John Smith.  That's what happens.  No more can we (I) seem to tell who is calling.

shane7
Casual Adventurer
Message 14 of 26 (257 Views)

Then this might very well be a bug, and I will try to look into that :happy:

--
Thibault
Skype for Mac Engineer

Thibault
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Message 15 of 26 (256 Views)

This suggestion does not work.

When I quick search on a name...say 'smith', the relevant names are listed in 'Conversations'...by the number that I contacted them at(and I can't tell if it's office/mobile/etc).  The 'contact' does not show up anywhere else (messages/Skype directory).

If I select that contact...the resulting dropdown on teh green 'call' button only has one option...'call'.

It's broken.  The update broke it.  This directly affects people who are using skype to make outbound calls...ie, your paying customers. Suggesting that a 'work around' that requires 2-3 more clicks and wastes 5-10 seconds per call is not really acceptable.   This has me considering other softphone options.

Amos123
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 10
Message 16 of 26 (244 Views)

Exactly.

I pay for skype out

I pay for my phone number

And the app has made it harder and harder to make calls, somehow prioritizing skype to skype over phone-calls. I'd rather be able to easily dial phones than search skype conversations.  It's what I'm paying for.

shane7
Casual Adventurer
Message 17 of 26 (236 Views)

I somewhat agree.  I also paid for Skype Premium for the Skype to Phone calling.

Please return the funtionality.

drjfisher
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 18 of 26 (218 Views)

shane7 wrote:

Yes re: John Smith.  That's what happens.  No more can we (I) seem to tell who is calling.

What version are you using? I tried to reproduce the bug to no avail :-/

--
Thibault
Skype for Mac Engineer

Thibault
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Message 19 of 26 (195 Views)

Version 6.7.0.373

shane7
Casual Adventurer
Message 20 of 26 (175 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling