No video with video chat.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

No video with video chat.

I have a Mac OX opperating system, and have never had any problems until with Skype until recently. However now, when I try to video chat, Skype won't recognize my camera, but the audio is fine and I can see the person I'm chatting with just fine too. My video camera is working with iChat and Photobooth. I tried uninstalling and re-installing older versions, still the video is not working. Please advise...

aureliasmith
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 24 (54,860 Views)

Re: No video with video chat.

Which MacOS version on which Apple hardware are you on? Are you on the latest Skype from www.skype.com/go/download

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13873
Message 2 of 24 (54,826 Views)

I'm using a MacBook Pro, with a Mac OX S Version 10.6.3 opperating system. I recently had to reinstall it after replacing a faulty HD ribbon, in case that has anything to do with it. I am positive I have the lastest version of Skype.

aureliasmith
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 24 (54,824 Views)

I'm having the same problem!!! I just downloaded the new version of skype and now the video won't work! I'm on a MacBook Pro OS X 10.5.8. I used the video a couple of times since downloading the new skype, and then suddenly my video dropped out and it does not show a camera, nor under preferences does it recognize my built-in cam!! I need to make a video call tomorrow, please help ASAP! Or, how can I switch back to  my previous installation?!

aquarius1986
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 24 (54,812 Views)

I'm using a MacBook Pro, with a Mac OX S Version 10.6.3 opperating system. I recently had to reinstall it after replacing a faulty HD ribbon, in case that has anything to do with it. I am positive I have the lastest version of Skype. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, and everything I've read online so far. Nothing seems to work. Help!?

aureliasmith
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 24 (54,782 Views)

I haven't found anything myself...Let's keep each other informed if anything works, ok? I'll keep working on it
aureliasmith
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 24 (54,780 Views)

If you really need to do a video chat, my camera is working with iChat. I don't know if you have an AIM account, which you need to use it, but it will work in a pinch until this Skype issue gets sorted. Just a suggestion...
aureliasmith
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 24 (54,779 Views)

I am having exactly the same problem the last few days. Also around, but i believe before i downloaded new version. i am running on OS X 10.6.8 and also latest skype currently. don't know how to get old version back. video is actually working intermittently, but have had no ability to see my contacts video the last few hours. also didn't work for a few hours yesterday. we fiddled on both sides and thought we'd sussed it out, but it it seems to be jacked up again....help!!!!

Can you give more instruction on how to do this ichat/AIM alternative? my contact is not mac....and i am very new to this and not very tech savvy....

smurfymermaid
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 24 (54,750 Views)

I'm not tech savvy at all. Please let me know if you find anything out on your end too. It's still a problem over here too. The iChat is an app that's built into your computer if you have  a Mac, and I think the other person needs to have one too, but I could be wrong. Either way, you sign in and/or create an account with AIM in order for it to work. You set that up by clicking on the icon either in your dock or applications file and once it starts running, you can just follow the prompts as given. Sorry this isn't more helpful. I'll let you know if I come across anything new/useful.

aureliasmith
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 24 (54,699 Views)

aureliasmith wrote:

I'm not tech savvy at all. Please let me know if you find anything out on your end too. It's still a problem over here too. The iChat is an app that's built into your computer if you have  a Mac, and I think the other person needs to have one too, but I could be wrong. 

Correct, you both have to have Macs and iChat (or Messages as it's now called). Skype video from your side won't work once you've used either Facetime, Messages or Photobooth. You have to close them all, including Skype. Then, when you restart Skype, you should have your video back working.

rwakeford
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 162
Message 10 of 24 (54,687 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling