No sound!

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

No sound!

[ Edited ]

Quite often now I come back to my computer and try and use Skype only to find that there is no sound (i.e. can't hear dialling, ringing, nothing!)  The 'skype test call' becomes redundant here because you can't hear anything so there's nothing to respond to and no way of highlighting that this is the case?!  Also, it's painfully obvious that you don't want to discuss these things over the phone (easier!) as there is not a phone number anywhere on your site......genius!  And yes, before you ask, sound is working everywhere else on the computer.  Please can someone tell me what to do (without reference to the FAQs!!)

MisterB
Staff Moderator

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

Skype for Mac 6.12 ( 438 ) Hotfix has just been released which should address "no sound after resume from sleep" issue.

Please download & update your Skype and let us know if the problem is still present.

View solution in original post
sphoare
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 18
Message 1 of 119 (104,445 Views)

Re: No sound!

What do you see when in Skype you go to Tools -> Options -> Audio settings?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6557
Message 2 of 119 (104,436 Views)

I'm on a Mac so I don't have those options, however I'm using the Plantronics headset, as supplied by Skype, and all settings are configured. Annoyingly, it seems to work if I turn off and turn on (that old favourite!), but wouldn't mind a solution that didn't involve this, if you knew one?
sphoare
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 18
Message 3 of 119 (104,429 Views)

I have exactly the same problem - did you ever find a solution?
TimWe
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 119 (101,804 Views)

I have done everything possible..(I think)  can't use skpe, there is no sound at all. I have sound for everything else, I have even formatted.still the same in skype

bezmac
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 119 (99,434 Views)

i think you click the "skype" tab at the top left corner, then go to "preferences". then go to "audio" and change the volume. maybe that'll help?
aliceeh11
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 119 (98,180 Views)

Just installed Skype on three different computers.

Each onre would not produce sound either going to the caller or received from the caller.

Messenger worked just fine. Problem is with Skype....no doubt!

Does anyone have a solution?

Frankhaertlein
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 7 of 119 (96,492 Views)

I'm assuming that since you posed your question on the Mac subforum, you have installed Skype on at least one Mac.  Once you've done that, open Skype's Preferences and ensure that the appropriate choices have been made in the Audio/Video pane.  You can test by calling Skype's testing service: echo123.

--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
mkichaa
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 333
Message 8 of 119 (96,484 Views)

I have the same problem. It seems to happen after the Mac has been 'asleep' (closed, but not shut down) and woken up again. I don't get any sound at all from Skype when the Mac wakes up - no ringing or anything. Other programs have sound without problem.

The only way around this I have found it to quit Skype, and re-open it and it works fine ...... at least until the Mac sleeps again. I'm on OS/X 10.8.2 with Skype for Mac 6.0.59.2968

ianr94521
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 9 of 119 (94,152 Views)

I have the same problem - see a separate post

Tokyoguru
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 10 of 119 (94,129 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling