My video camera on my mac isn't working for Skype.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My video camera on my mac isn't working for Skype.

I am fully updated, using a built-in camera on my macbook pro, and i went into preferences to check it out, and my video camera isn't working with skype. i thought it was the camera at first, but it's not. i can still take pictures on photobooth, but skype won't work. help?

elainag97
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 1 of 11 (10,541 Views)

Re: My video camera on my mac isn't working for Skype.

Hello Im currently having the same problem...did you eventually get it fixed...

arianac
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 11 (10,485 Views)

Same problem. Brand new macbook pro. Latest version of skype for mac downloaded. facetime camera works on other apps. mac support declares it a skype problem. Grrr.

Peter2Alward
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 11 (10,432 Views)

If you use Ecamm software, Call Recorder and/or iGlasses, please make sure you have the latest version(s) installed.

And we will need your help.

Can you create and submit logs using Thibault's instruction, please? You can find instruction on how to create logs here: http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/How-to-report-a-crash-hang-or-any-other-issue/td-p/1449277

Thank you.

MisterB
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 293
Message 4 of 11 (10,414 Views)

They sent me directions to create a log, use terminal, I'm not computer savvy like that, I have no idea how to do those things but a lot of people are having problems.  Most of the contatacts I Skype with and clients can't get video now either.  Not just with me, with anyone.  So if this was an update, its a mess.

pixiesusan
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 11 (10,406 Views)

OH and I don't have either Recorder or iglasses.  So boo.

pixiesusan
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 11 (10,400 Views)

Having the same issue. All of a sudden my camera isn't working on my Macbook Pro. I use skype all the time and it was working last night then this morning nothing. Black screen when I look in preferences. Has anyone figured out how to fix this?

shannonmc1
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 11 (10,340 Views)

I have fixed the problem in the only way that is working for me.  I got rid of the "new" skype and got my older version off of my back up Time Machine.  It works perfectly.  So for me all the issues are in the new version.  NO matter what instructions they, or anyone gave me, the new skype won't work on my iMac.  

I do have another question, my skype keeps updating to the newer version automatically, is there a way to NOT have it do that?

pixiesusan
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 11 (10,328 Views)

In Skype's General Preferences, untick "Keep Skype up to date" or "Check for updates automatically" (I don't recall the wording on v5.x, but it shouldn't be difficult to find). That should do it.
--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
mkichaa
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 345
Message 9 of 11 (10,307 Views)

I'm having this same probelm.. and none of the handy dandy tips Skype have given me have worked. 

Come on, Skype. Obviously there is something wrong with this update. Fix it.

EmmaleeH
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 11 (5,861 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling