My solution to continue using Skype 2.8 on older O...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

My solution to continue using Skype 2.8 on older OS X (Lion etc)

In your firewall (in my case: Little Snitch), block Skype connections to ui.skype.com

Skype 2.8 can't check for updates anymore and won't exit on start.

Works as of 4. August.

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 23.08.06 .png

Cheers

skype2.8forever
Reliable Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Thanks for your suggestion, works like a charm! I tried Skype 6.9, which also works, but the UI is still extremely ugly and on top of that you cannot disable the camera anymore... way to go, Skype/Microsoft...

With your help, I'm running 2.8.0.866 (last usable version in my opinion) on Mac OS X 10.6.8 again. Instead of paying for and using Little Snitch, I just added the line

127.0.0.1    ui.skype.com

to the hosts file (/etc/hosts) to block it completely. For detailed instructions, read http://www.mactip.net/how-to-edit-the-hosts-file-on-a-mac/ or one of the other manuals available on the web. I edited the file with TextWrangler, but that was just for convenience.

I think this thread should be higher up and marked as a solution, so others can find it before giving up on 2.8 or older versions of OS X.

Thanks again for figuring it out!

View solution in original post
MichaelDo
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 36
Message 1 of 172 (17,656 Views)

Re: My solution to continue using Skype 2.8 on older OS X (Lion etc)

Thanks for your suggestion, works like a charm! I tried Skype 6.9, which also works, but the UI is still extremely ugly and on top of that you cannot disable the camera anymore... way to go, Skype/Microsoft...

With your help, I'm running 2.8.0.866 (last usable version in my opinion) on Mac OS X 10.6.8 again. Instead of paying for and using Little Snitch, I just added the line

127.0.0.1    ui.skype.com

to the hosts file (/etc/hosts) to block it completely. For detailed instructions, read http://www.mactip.net/how-to-edit-the-hosts-file-on-a-mac/ or one of the other manuals available on the web. I edited the file with TextWrangler, but that was just for convenience.

I think this thread should be higher up and marked as a solution, so others can find it before giving up on 2.8 or older versions of OS X.

Thanks again for figuring it out!

skype2.8forever
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 84
Message 2 of 172 (17,595 Views)

Thanks! Its work :happy:

tvs00
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 13
Message 3 of 172 (17,559 Views)

yes, this should be copied and posted elsewhere in this forum and macforums for others to see if it works as I have the same problem happening to me today with my Leopard OSX and any Skype evrsions now will not work.

But can you explain in layman's terms on where to find this setting and do it? How do I get into my firewall, where are the folders? Please write a path to where the change can be done like;

Home - Library - Application Support - Blah - Blah - Blah

guzaguza
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 30
Message 4 of 172 (17,553 Views)

[ Edited ]

skype2.8forever, Nice idea with /etc/hosts. I wasn't sure if that would work because normally Skype doesn't rely on DNS and has hard-coded IPs that allows it to connect even without host resolving available. But as it seems, for update check it does.

MichaelDo
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 36
Message 5 of 172 (17,537 Views)

Find in you Aplications directory "Terminal"

start it

next:

It’s very easy to edit Hosts if you are somewhat comfortable with working command line in the Terminal. In this tutorial, I will map example.com to 192.168.1.130.

1. Open the Terminal. It’s located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
  2. Enter the following command:
    sudo nano /private/etc/hosts
  3. This command is using nano, the built-in command line editor to open the Hosts file. You will be asked for your password because root privileges are needed to edit the Hosts.
  4. You will now see the contents of the Hosts file. It has one entry per line, with the hostname followed by the IP address. Hashed lines (#) are comment lines and are ignored by the system. Use the arrow keys to move the cursor.
  5. Append your entries to the end of the file. Use tab key or spaces to separate the IP from domains. Like so:

write it:

127.0.0.1    ui.skype.com

1. Check you entries, and Save the file by pressing Control + O keys. (letter O, not zero) It will ask where to write, with the Hosts file already typed, press Enter to write.
  2. Control + X to close nano editor.

enjoy! :happy:

http://www.mactip.net/how-to-edit-the-hosts-file-on-a-mac/

tvs00
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 13
Message 6 of 172 (17,529 Views)

I'm at Applications – Utilities – Terminal.app - and it says Terminal - bash - 80x24 after my info;

joe-schmoes-imac:~ schmoe$

I try to enter /private/etc/hosts or /etc/hosts and nothing happens?

it says -bash: /private/etc/hosts: Permission denied

but I'me the admin and put my password in on a command line but still nothing happened?

what do I do next or am I in the correct area?

guzaguza
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 172 (17,514 Views)

okay...I figured it out and it worked...I never go into my terminal.app to mess around, this is the first time that I've done so. I'm sooo disgusted on the industry constantly pushing people for un-needed upgrades just for them to make more money. It sickens me to the core :sad:

I'm going to copy and paste this link into other areas of this forum because many people need this it seems. Others should do the same to macforums and any other forums out there whom they are a member of. I'm not a member of any, I just join these forums once when I have a problem and just don't have time to use them

guzaguza
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 172 (17,487 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you! Looks like it works.

Pinaru
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 9 of 172 (17,426 Views)

@MichaelDo: Thanks for accepting my post as an answer. Still, it makes you wonder why they include a "Do not check for updates" button in the application if it is ignored... but as long as it continues to work, I am not complaining :wink:

@guzaguza: Ironically they won't make more money, as the (forced) updates are still free, but the customers are put off and driven to look for other alternatives. After a situation like this, I for one will think twice before renewing my Skype credits, and I believe many others will act the same way.

@thread: If you are still using OS X 10.2, 10.3 or 10.4, then Little Snitch is free to download  from http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/download-legacy-en.html , if you don't want to edit the hosts file (or like to restrict other applications, too). Also maybe have a look at https://tomafro.net/2009/07/dscl-the-easy-way-to-add-hosts-on-osx , it looks pretty useful (also for later systems).

skype2.8forever
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 84
Message 10 of 172 (17,405 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling