Microphone not working on mac mini

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Microphone not working on mac mini

Hi, I have a problem with an external microphone - I cannot be heard by other Skype users (and the sound is not recorded while making Skype test call). I have a brand new usb headsets (Logitech), plugged in the computer (no external hubs), tried all different settings in System preferences (OS X 10.6.:cool: and Skype preferences (5.1.0.96:cool:, even tried to install older versions of Skype - without success. Anyone got any idea how to fix this problem?

suzana
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 8 (15,345 Views)

Re : Microphone not working on mac mini

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Be sure that :

In System Preferences / Hardware / Audio input settings :

-  "Mute" is not ticked 

-  Audio level is high enough

In Skype preferences / Audio-Video, your Logitech USB headset is selected as microphone .

Hth

On ne regarde pas l'avenir dans un rétroviseur ! :wink:
IMac Intel Core i3 3.2 GHz - RAM 12 GB - OS 10.7.5
Skype 2.8.0.866 + 6.15.0.330
Logitech usb headset or Jabra 250 bt
Foyan
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 823
Message 2 of 8 (15,332 Views)

I have the same problem.  Since i switched to Mac (apple newbee...) i cant seem to find my way around.

where do i find skype setup / preferences? How do I get there? There seems to be no button or menu item for it.

THX!!!

drG
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 8 (15,161 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

- Click Apple tiny icon at top left screen and select System Preferences, then go to Hardware >>> Sound.

Check your settings.

- While Skype is running and in front, click Skype menu (just near the Apple one at top left screen) >>> Preferences... >>> Audio/Video and there be sure that the appropriate device is selected as Microphone, speakers and Ringing.

Hth

On ne regarde pas l'avenir dans un rétroviseur ! :wink:
IMac Intel Core i3 3.2 GHz - RAM 12 GB - OS 10.7.5
Skype 2.8.0.866 + 6.15.0.330
Logitech usb headset or Jabra 250 bt
Foyan
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 823
Message 4 of 8 (15,154 Views)

Re: Microphone not working on mac mini

I purchased ELECOM USB stand mike @¥1700 and selected this in Skype set up. It worked perfectly.

tanakakjk
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 8 (14,236 Views)

I think the line in jack on the mac mini is designed for a different input to the standard socket - my solution was simply to use the standard iPhone combination headphone & microphone jack into the headphone socket and choosing the appropriate setting in Skype and mac settings . If you need a webcam you can use your iPhone with this £1.99 GBP app - http ://www. mobiola.com/mobiola-web-camera - P
pada
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 8 (13,699 Views)

Remember that regular TOSlink audio line in won't work with Mac. You need to be using 3.5mm mini jack device.

3dimensional
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 8 (10,243 Views)

Re : Microphone not working on mac mini

Great advice, but I can't get it to work. My Skype Prefs. for Audio says "Built-in Input(line-in) and no other choices. This headset worked with my old Mac. It's a sort of generic headset but worked OK before.

I found the stupid solution. For some reason I had to plug it in using a USB adaptor! I thought I only had to do that with my OLD Mac (PowerPC). Well, I'm glad I tried the adaptor, but at least I got it ..test call works now. What is Apple thinking? Brand new Mac should've had a built in Microphone, or at least a jack that works!!!

debbiejoy
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 8 (7,742 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling