Mac sound problem (internal speakers no call outpu...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Mac sound problem (internal speakers no call output, headphones only have call output)

[ Edited ]

Hi all.

I have a Macbook pro.  Logging into Skype makes the appropriate noise through my build-in, internal speakers.  Calling and ringing also make the appropriate noise through my internal speakers.  My video and my contact's video both work properly.  My contact can hear my audio, but I cannot hear their audio.  When I make a Skype test call, it rings properly, but then no audio can be heard.

I have explored what I thought to be most of the obvious issues.  It is up to date.  I have tried uninstalling completely and then re-installing.  My sound isn't muted.  The skype audio settings are through both my internal mics and speakers.  My computer's settings through "System Preferences" have the correct input and output settings.  There is no red light in my headphone port (my computer doesn't think headphones are plugged in when they are not).  

The only solution so far is to plug in headphones, then I can hear the call.  I also noted that when plugging in the headphones, the output source from the Skype menu doesn't change (it still reads "internal speakers").  A Skype test-call results in the same scenario.

My computer has no other sound issues what-so-ever, only when using Skype.  Any thoughts? Suggestions? Clarifying questions?  I thank you in advance for your time and input.

rscuderi1
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 1 of 16 (4,156 Views)

Re: Mac sound problem (internal speakers no call output, headphones only have call output)

Did you get an answer to this question? Yours asks the question I have and is thorough, including all of the same troubleshooting and system confirmations.

I'm beginning to think headphones are required on a Mac.

Is this true?

Englishirises
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 16 (3,703 Views)

Re: Mac sound problem (internal speakers no call output, headphones only have call output)

Anyone have any luck with this yet?  I have the same issue but opposite.

It's the same issue every single time.  I can see and hear the other person perfectly well.  They can see me but it's nearly impossible for them to hear me.

I have a MacBook Pro (2007) originally it came with 10.4, now I'm on 10.6.8.

On and off over the years I've tried to get Skype to work on this computer to no avail.

My MacPro at work (originally 10.4, now 10.6.8 works perfectly fine with Skype)

I've made the attempts in both versions of the OS listed above.

I've made the attempts in several versions of Skype (just upgraded from 5.7 to 5.8 and had a couple prior versions as well).

I've tried every conceivable configuration with the sound setting both on the Mac and in Skype.

I've tried the internal speakers and mic as well as two different headsets.

I've used Yahoo Messenger Voice/Cam and it works perfectly fine on this system.

I've used Google Voice/Cam and it works perfectly fine on this system.

I've scoured thru the forum on here and other places without ever finding an answer.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

paulisimoisphal
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 3 of 16 (3,583 Views)

I am also at my witt's end. I have a Mac SX two year old desk top. With the last older version of Skype I could have sound goin g from me to the other party as well as hear them. Now they can't hear me at all. I can hear them perfectly. When I make a call I can see that the icon of my mic has a red line through it to show muted. If I try to uncheck that it somes will uncheck the red line by\ut the other party still cannot hear me at all.

I tried to reinstall to no avail but didn't uninstall completely first. After reading someone elses efforts to completely uninstall and then reinstall to no avail I didn't try it out of concern about loosing my contacts. Can I go back to the older version?

This is having a negative impact on my life.

Very grateful for anyone's help!!

amazinggrace
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 16 (3,506 Views)

Hey everyone, I can tell you that skype does work on macs as I have used it for years on my old one. On that note I just purchased a new mac book pro and the sound comes thought great, but my mic will not work. So if anyone finds out the answer please let us all know why this would happen. Thank you for your help.
skypequestions1
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 16 (3,243 Views)

This is the solution that worked for me. Quit Skype completely, and re-launch.. sorry, it's as simple as that.

oaltun
Casual Tourist
Message 6 of 16 (3,183 Views)

i have axactly the same problem. have you reached any solutions? if you have can you tell me how you fixed it?

thanks 

erokoko
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 16 (2,638 Views)

oaltun wrote:

This is the solution that worked for me. Quit Skype completely, and re-launch.. sorry, it's as simple as that.

If wishes were fishes...Sorry, but quitting and re-launching does not solve the problem. Next!

jeanpaulsartre9
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 16 (2,604 Views)

I am also having this problem I can here calls see them on the screen, but they can;t hear me at all, seems they are having to reboot all the time. this is not one islated incident, but has happened over several diferent callers.

Scays
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 9 of 16 (2,472 Views)

I have now uninstalled and reinstalled twice and now it seems I have to do it again.

Why can't I talk to someone who can exlain it all to me

DavidDownward
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 16 (2,468 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling