I cannot find my Skype icon on my Mac Desktop!

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

I cannot find my Skype icon on my Mac Desktop!

I must have accidently deleted my Skype icon.  What do I do to find it and put it back along with my other icons?  My account is active, I just can't find Skype.

Thank you.

Nancywoods68
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 14
Message 1 of 23 (17,556 Views)

Re: I cannot find my Skype icon on my Mac Desktop!

Skype 'lives' in your Applications folder.  Launching it will result in the icon showing in the Dock.  Right-click (or click/hold) that icon, then, under Options, tick 'Keep in Dock.'  

--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
mkichaa
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 298
Message 2 of 23 (17,553 Views)

Thank you so much for responding to me.  I can't find it in my Applications folder either!  That was the first place I looked.  I know that I have a Skype account and that it is active.  More help!

Nancywoods68
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 23 (17,552 Views)

[ Edited ]

If after searching for the Skype application (CMD-F from the Finder) you cannot locate it, you may have deleted the appliction.  In that case, simply click on Get Skype at the top of this forum page and download it again.  Double-click the Skype.dmg file in your Downloads folder and follow the onscreen instructions.  After installing the software, you'll find it in the Applications folder.  Just to clarify: Skype calling is NOT done from a web page.  It requires that the application itself be installed.  I mention this only because it is not clear from your original post that you had previously installed it.  In either event, installing (or reinstalling) it should solve the problem.

--
mkichaa
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 23 (17,550 Views)

Thank you again.  Yes I definitely downloaded it, paid a slight preminum to call cell phones and land lines.  So I am a paying customer, albeit a clueless one.  I'll try re-installing per your suggestions.

Nancywoods68
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 23 (17,543 Views)

It must be a general problem. I have lost my Skype setup several time in the latest week.

Balder46
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 23 (17,524 Views)

When I downloaded it, I had the same problem. When I wanted to open it up again I saw the icon disappeared but I would have to launch from Downloads. Once I launced it, I dragged the icon into applications. It seems to be OK for now.

aleida1026
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 23 (17,067 Views)

Please advise how to set up the Skype Icon on my desktop.

dynamokev2
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 23 (16,767 Views)

Open Skype (if you've actually installed it--the process is not automatic) from your Applications folder.  When it has opened, the Skype icon will appear in the Dock.  Right-click (or click/hold) the icon in the Dock and select Options.  Then choose to keep Skype in the Dock.  Thereafter, it will 'stick' to the Dock.

--
mkichaa
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 23 (16,762 Views)

This would help if it was added to application correctly.  I just "installed" this application and still I cannot find it in applications nor can I get the correct icon to show on the dock when I reboot.  I seriously should not have to call tech support to access ths application correctly on startup.

Have a nice day and I dont expect a reply. 

Xylinx
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 10 of 23 (16,144 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling