How to create two instances of Skype on the Deskto...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

How to create two instances of Skype on the Desktop ?

[ Edited ]

I have two accounts, would like to have them both open on my desktop
Now I am restricted to only one.  I am Mac user.

engelbeck
Casual Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

This issue is not worth to bother with. Skype support tends to confuse customers with difficult to follow instructions, perhaps they are deliberately mocking all customers who ask questions.
They have so many customers , many of them are Skype addicts who nothing else but Skype and used it many years, would not use anything else . By the way, there is hardly any competition to Skype.  I heared about VBuzzer, anyone uses this ?
The few customers who complain are handled with very superficially and even mocking them (the Skype support would respond as they did with that complicated instruction set for double instance, which are totally nonesense etc). Just try there Chat support and you will see something is not OK.
It will eat up your time and most of the time they will confuse you. I have been in touch with them many times and I conclude that they are doing this deliberately.

View solution in original post
engelbeck
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 1 of 24 (21,637 Views)

Re : How to create two instances of Skype on the Desktop ?

Hi,

That seems to be not easy/possible, I'm afraid.

But you could use fast user switching feature. Maybe...

Hth

On ne regarde pas l'avenir dans un rétroviseur ! :wink:
IMac Intel Core i3 3.2 GHz - RAM 12 GB - OS 10.10.1
Skype 7.2.412
Logitech usb headset or Jabra 250 bt
Foyan
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1277
Message 2 of 24 (21,625 Views)

[ Edited ]

For a Mac please see this: http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=52890

For Windows Please see below:

Use this to run multiple copies of the Skype for Windows clients on a single system:

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /secondary

Note: If you create a shortuct using this same command, and right click on that shortcut you can run copies of the Skype for Windows client as different Windows User Id's as welll, using the "Run As" option.

You can also use a IP Camera as your camera for Skype video Example Instructions
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 501
Message 3 of 24 (21,620 Views)

Are you sure that the trick will work for a mac user using Skype for Mac OS X ?  :smileysurprised:

On ne regarde pas l'avenir dans un rétroviseur ! :wink:
IMac Intel Core i3 3.2 GHz - RAM 12 GB - OS 10.10.1
Skype 7.2.412
Logitech usb headset or Jabra 250 bt
Foyan
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1277
Message 4 of 24 (21,615 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sorry My Bad, did not notice this was a Mac, I will check.

You can also use a IP Camera as your camera for Skype video Example Instructions
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 5 of 24 (21,612 Views)

Please see this: http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=52890

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 6 of 24 (21,608 Views)

And I tried, and I tried. And I tried.
And I could get no sa-tis-fac-tion....

This is what Skype support recommends. But as said, I did not succeed.

We do not officially support or recommend running two instances of Skype simultaneously on the one computer. However, it is possible to do this:

Make a copy of Skype:

1. Open Finder.
  2. In the sidebar, click Macintosh HD > Applications.
  3. Click Skype to select it.
  4. Press Cmd+C, then Cmd+V to copy and paste Skype.
  5. Skype copy appears.

Change the bundle identifier in the Info.plist file:

1. Right-click the copy of Skype and select Show Package Contents.
  2. Click the folder named Contents, then open the Info.plist file.
  3. In the Info.plist file, locate the bundle identifier setting, com.skype.skype and change it to com.yourname.skype (for example: com.john.skype).
  4. Go to File > Save, and then close the file.

Change the data path used by Skype for storing data files:

1. Open Terminal (Go to Finder and in the Search field, enter Terminal).
  2. In the Terminal window, enter the command:
    defaults write <new bundle identifier > DataPath <”path to a new data directory”>

For example:
    defaults write com.john.skype DataPath “~Library/Application\ Support/Skype copy"
  3. Press Return.

engelbeck
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 7 of 24 (21,592 Views)

Re: How to create two instances of Skype on the Desktop ?

Hello!

I looked at the for Mac link, unfortunately I am completely new to Macs and do not have a clue where to type these commands? I have OS 10.6.7 will these commands pertain to my version?  Could someone be kind enough to help a newbie out?  I need specifics here... being a bit obtuse this morning!

To restate: I have 2 accounts (one work, one private) I would like to have both running at the same time on my Mac (I don't know what that user switch is either-again what? where? when? etc). I am clueless about typing these commands.

Thank you in advance,

Deb

wytchie1
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 24 (21,517 Views)

Re : How to create two instances of Skype on the Desktop ?

[ Edited ]

And I tried, but only once as I succeeded!

Will try to explains a few details that I think makes the pitfall

"Make a copy of Skype" section is quite straight forward, but as spaces usually may be a pain to handle, then name the copy Skype-business or something else without spaces.

Then item 3 in "Change the bundle identifier in the Info.plist file" section. Where it says "yourname", select something simple with letters only meaning no dots or other strange stuff. As I see it, it is just a reference for use in later step, so you can name it whatever you want, but just not "skype". Lets say you use john as "yourname"

Finally, item 2 in "Change the data path used by Skype for storing data files" section. The example with above names should be (in engelbeck post there is a '\' that shouldn't be there):

defaults write com.john.skype DataPath "~Library/Application Support/Skype-business"

Hope this will bring you success!

@wytchie1: Deb, I think it will be too difficult to explain it in the details I think you need, but when you get more familiar with your Mac I think you'll find it relative easy to do. Or try to see if you can find a Mac buddy that can help you.

KnudKrog
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 9 of 24 (21,509 Views)

Success for me!  Make sure you go step by step and pay close attention to the details.  

1. Make sure you replace ALL "com.skype.skype" identifiers with your new one. (eg: "com.name.skype")  Use "command-f" to open find window and use search and replace to ensure it is all replaced.

2. Make sure the directory (folder) exists and you create it before assigning it in terminal.

3. Pay attention to symbols, forward slash "/" and backward slash "\" in your directory command input in terminal.

eg below:

These did not work for me:

"defaults write<new bundle identifier> DataPath<"~Library/Application Support/Skype apple data">"

"defaults write<new bundle identifier> DataPath<"~Library/Application Support/Skype applephx data/skype\apple">"

This one did: "defaults write com.apple.skype DataPath "~Library/Application Support\Skype apple data"

applephx
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 24 (21,465 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling