How to change default browser

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

How to change default browser

Skype automatically opens all links with Safari, even though I've set (in Safari) Firefox as the default browser.

Does Skype open links with Safari no matter what I do, or is there somewhere I can change this?

ctrhode
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (6,989 Views)

Re: How to change default browser

Perhaps making Firefox the default browser from within Firefox will do the trick.  I'm not certain, as I'm not currently a Firefox user, so I'm a bit rusty...

Screen Shot 2012-08-07 at 3.15.45 PM.jpg

--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
mkichaa
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 255
Message 2 of 10 (6,981 Views)

Unfortunately I already have these options checked in Firefox. Thanks for your reply though.

ctrhode
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 10 (6,978 Views)

Hi,

"RCDefaultApp" installed on your Mac (System preferences/Other) ?
If so, you might check your settings there also for being sure.

Hth

On ne regarde pas l'avenir dans un rétroviseur ! :wink:
IMac Intel Core i3 3.2 GHz - RAM 12 GB - OS 10.7.5
Skype 2.8.0.866 + 6.15.0.330
Logitech usb headset or Jabra 250 bt
Foyan
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 817
Message 4 of 10 (6,951 Views)

I have the same problem, only Skype opens everything in IE. I also want Firefox. If I figure it out I'll let you know.

clemdane
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 10 (6,617 Views)

I have encountered the same problem, at first Skype opens link to my Opera browser. I just simply make Firefox as my default browser and then bingo!!! Problem solve!
elgartcalago
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 10 (6,241 Views)

I have a similar question. My PCs default browser is firefox. However I would like to open any links I click in my skype in a Chrome browser is this setting possible? I hate all the flash stuff I encounter while surfing so have adobe flash blocked from FF and new links blocked without permission. When I am given a link in Skype it is usually something that requires sound. So I would like to open the trusted ones in chrome since I do not have all the necessary features blocked.
mwieneke
Tourist
Message 7 of 10 (3,062 Views)

mwieneke wrote:
I have a similar question. My PCs default browser is firefox. However I would like to open any links I click in my skype in a Chrome browser is this setting possible? I hate all the flash stuff I encounter while surfing so have adobe flash blocked from FF and new links blocked without permission. When I am given a link in Skype it is usually something that requires sound. So I would like to open the trusted ones in chrome since I do not have all the necessary features blocked.

As far as I know the current versions of Skype open all links based off the system's default browser.  Similar to when you open up links in the run window.  So it is slave to that setting and it cannot be customized in any other fashion that I am aware of.  So if you wanted links in Skype to launch Chrome you would be forced to change your default browser to Chrome.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 799
Message 8 of 10 (3,059 Views)

It is not the case that it uses the default browser. 
I have Chrome set as my default browser, and it works for every other app I click a link in. Except for Skype, which always opens in Safari.

Please - Skype admins - how do you change this setting?

jasonsteeghs
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 10 (1,441 Views)

Skype does indeed use the default browser to open links. In fact, Skype just passes URLs directly to Launch Services which then handles sending them to the appropriate destination based on their scheme (http, ftp, etc.).

Your default browser is adjusted in Safari's preferences. A little counter-intuitive, but there you have it. Here's an Apple KB article explaining how to make the change.

Nick.K9
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 47
Message 10 of 10 (1,435 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling