How can I run two Skype accounts on a Mac?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Re: Simplest solution to use 2 Skype accounts on same Mac

Excellent, it worked fine. Thank you!

iracemaguisoni
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 11 of 31 (4,641 Views)

This is the script created with Applescript to open two skype accounts simultaneously:

do shell script "open /applications/skype.app"

do shell script "sudo /Applications/Skype.app/Contents/MacOS/Skype"

I enclose the script with the custom icon (Skype) ready to be launched.

Sorry fro my bad english!

Uso Mac perché è lo standard professionale nel campo audio.
Uso Windows perché è lo standard professionale in ufficio.
Uso Linux se voglio sentirmi libero
megaedit
Casual Adventurer
Message 12 of 31 (4,566 Views)

megaedit ha scritto:

This is the script created with Applescript to open two skype accounts simultaneously:

do shell script "open /applications/skype.app"

do shell script "sudo /Applications/Skype.app/Contents/MacOS/Skype"

I enclose the script with the custom icon (Skype) ready to be launched.

Sorry fro my bad english!

Errata Corrige

The script that I posted has an error: there is no command for requesting administrator privileges. To start the second skype you must enter the administrator password.
Below I report the correct script. When you start it you will be prompted to enter your password, and then the second skype will start.

do shell script "open /applications/skype.app"

do shell script "sudo /Applications/Skype.app/Contents/MacOS/Skype" with administrator privileges

I attach the modified script, always ready to be launched.

Sorry!

Uso Mac perché è lo standard professionale nel campo audio.
Uso Windows perché è lo standard professionale in ufficio.
Uso Linux se voglio sentirmi libero
megaedit
Casual Adventurer
Message 13 of 31 (4,534 Views)

rau1988 wrote:

This solution requires the use of Terminal, an app included in Mac OS. It is an advanced-user app that might be intimidating for basic users but is quite simple to use, at least for the intentions of this solution.

The instructions are written for the inexperienced-in-Terminal basic user. Otherwise, this solution can be inferred by the solutions posted in the links at the end of this post.

Instructions

Having Skype already installed in your computer and already open:

1. Open Terminal. (If you don't know where to find it you can search it using Spotlight)

2. On the window that Terminal opens (a white window with a line of text awaiting for you to type) write: "sudo /Applications/Skype.app/Contents/MacOS/Skype" (you can copy&paste from here, it has to be everything between the quotation marks, including the space between "sudo" and "/App..." EXCLUDE the quotation marks).

3. Terminal will ask for your user account password (the same you use when you log in to your computer or install an app).

4. After a few seconds a second window of Skype will open.

5. You can close the Terminal window if you wish. (Some users reported this closes Skype too although it hasn't happened to me, if it does you will have to minimize Terminal and keep it open as long as you need the two accounts.)

This solution/procedure is based in the very similar solutions posted by:

kai_schroder in http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/Work-two-Skype-accounts-simultaneously-on-Mac/m-p/272748/highlight...

ccalhoun in http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/Re-Run-two-skype-accounts-on-my-Mac/m-p/466123/highlight/true#M123...

ems_904 in http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/Is-there-a-way-to-sign-on-to-multiple-Skype-accounts-at-the-same/m...

Note for advanced users: This solution is basically the same kai_schroder posts although greatly explained for basic users. Compared to the other two solutions, it simplifies the need of a second user account in the computer by using the 'sudo' command in Terminal.

FOR SKYPE: Clearly Mac users are in need of a better solution from Skype.

Your solution was great for setting up two accounts but I got the message already signed in when I tried for 3. Any solutions?

erm
Novel Tourist
Message 14 of 31 (4,465 Views)

Re: How can I run two Skype accounts on a Mac?

download the skype launcher from here- http ://www. skypelauncher.net/

You can open as many accounts as you wish with it.
mortenbjorn
Novel Tourist
Message 15 of 31 (4,374 Views)

Thanks your Terminal Mac solution. Is it me or switching between accounts used to be more intuitive? Cheers.

djelaa
Casual Tourist
Message 16 of 31 (4,193 Views)

[ Edited ]

The script that I posted has an error: there is no command for requesting administrator privileges. To start the second skype you must enter the administrator password.
Below I report the correct script. When you start it you will be prompted to enter your password, and then the second skype will start.

do shell script "open /applications/skype.app"

do shell script "sudo /Applications/Skype.app/Contents/MacOS/Skype" with administrator privileges

I attach the modified script, always ready to be launched.

Sorry!

Hi: Didn't work for me under OS Xv10.8.2 ... Got error message "AppleScript Error ... sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified"

pkortge
Novel Tourist
Message 17 of 31 (4,013 Views)

Re: How can I run two Skype accounts on a Mac?

holodnyalex
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 18 of 31 (3,785 Views)

Hi thanks for the detail explanation. I have done all you said and it worked, but when terminal asks for the password it doesn't let me write it. I tried copy and paste but nothing...I can not type my password...please help!

caro-mantella
Novel Tourist
Message 19 of 31 (3,247 Views)

Solution from ukrainian blog - Multi Skype. Without terminal, creating another users and app copies. Multi Skype app can run so many Skype accounts as you wish. Enjoy!

Casing
Novel Adventurer
Message 20 of 31 (2,626 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling