Headphone mic not working when plugged into headph...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

Headphone mic not working when plugged into headphone jack on Macbook pro.

Hello,

I have a problem that has caused me a significant amount of irritation simply because it seems so simple to fix, but Ive tried virtually everything I can think of to make it better and it hasn't really improved.

I was skyping the other day and i took my headphones out of the headphone jack. They have a microphone in them. When I plugged them back in, I could hear the other person, but they could not hear me. It was the first time Id used them to skype, but still, something must have happened in that brief moment to mess everything up.

So I did some searching here and on google and I couldnt find much. The page here titled "Why cant my friend hear me on skype" seemed to work fine the first time I followed its directions, but to test it, I unplugged my headset again. Again, it fouled everything up. I even wrote down the settings it was on (both apple system preferences and skype) and when I put them back to the way it was when it worked it didnt work this time.

Just to be clear, I fixed it, but then to test it, I took my headphones out again and it stopped working and even with the same settings, it wont work. It's extremely frustrating.

It will work when I plug my headphones into the audio jack but then I cant get the output to my headphones, which defeats the purpose of having them.

My headphones are not broken and my headphone jack is not broken either because I can listen to music through my headphones and use my headphone mic to call my friend on my headphones.

I have a feeling that somehow, my headphone jack (which was previously transmitting my headphone's mic's input just fine) has become messed up somehow (I feel like it has to be a setting or something that Im overlooking) and that I just need to configure it to work for both input and output instead of having the input/output divided between the headphone port and the microphone port.

I hope that was clear enough. Please feel free to ask me any questions you may find useful.

I cant tell if this is a skype issue or a mac issue, but Im asking here just to see what I can learn.

Thanks in advance

KneeJustice
Novel Adventurer

Accepted Solution

Nevermind. I forgot the first rule of fixing anything on the computer: turn it off and turn it on again. It's working, but it seems absurd that something like this (which would seem like a fairly common occurrence) would require restarting your computer.

Oh well.

View solution in original post
KneeJustice
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 6 (12,270 Views)

Re: Headphone mic not working when plugged into headphone jack on Macbook pro.

Nevermind. I forgot the first rule of fixing anything on the computer: turn it off and turn it on again. It's working, but it seems absurd that something like this (which would seem like a fairly common occurrence) would require restarting your computer.

Oh well.

KneeJustice
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 6 (12,096 Views)

mic not working audio sound recieved but echo test failed
kori_jairam1947
Casual Tourist
Message 3 of 6 (11,447 Views)

Headphone mic not working when plugged into headphone jack on IMac

I've got the same problem

DevinePlays
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 6 (1,069 Views)

Hey,

I can use my headphones for other things like listen to music but i cant use them for skype for some reason the headphones make a funny noise and i can only hear the skype call coming through the actual computer speakers. PLEASE HELP!

jjamess
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 6 (844 Views)

Hi, my headphone not working with skype, what could be the problems ? please help....

bimbola1979
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 6 (93 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling