Green call button grayed out

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Green call button grayed out

I've found the following problem reported dozens of times around the Internet, but haven't yet found a satisfactory answer so I'm trying here. The green call button in my main Skype window is repeatedly grayed out. This isn't a major problem since I discovered some time ago that I can control-click on the contact name and get a call option then, but I'm still curious about the button's being grayed out. Two of the answers I've seen on this have been:

(1) This happens when one's status is offline. Changing to online activates the button.

(2) This happens when the person one is calling is offline (or maybe - I'm not sure - when he or she doesn't have Skype).

Neither of these explanations does the job for me today, as in the present case (someone I regularly call who doesn't have a computer and thus not Skype) the green call button came on without my going online (I'm always invisible and like to stay that way) and also without my contact's being online. So the problem, I suppose, isn't that the call button is permanently grayed out, but that it's sluggish and needs to be jiggered somehow (though not necessarily via a status change to online, which I don't want to do and haven't had to do to achieve the desired result) before it finally activates.

It could quite imaginably be that my Skype (5.1.0.935) is simply a little buggy in this regard, and if someone could confirm this I would be happy with that. Any other info or tip would be appreciated as well, thanks.

RoyMcCoy
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (3,953 Views)

Re : Green call button grayed out

Hi,

I guess the green call button will become active as soon as you do :

- select an online contact from your list

or

- type an entire telephone number.

Btw, Skype 5.3.0.1074 is out from August 08th.  :wink:

Hth

On ne regarde pas l'avenir dans un rétroviseur ! :wink:
IMac Intel Core i3 3.2 GHz - RAM 12 GB - OS 10.9.4
Skype 2.8.0.866 + 6.19.0.442
Logitech usb headset or Jabra 250 bt
Foyan
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1009
Message 2 of 6 (3,844 Views)

Re : Green call button grayed out

[ Edited ]

I'm not completely sure if the same applies on the mac Skype version (most likely), but want to share the same happens in the windows version.  So I think this behaviour is now both happening in both mac and windows Skype versions.

offline online.png

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1253
Message 3 of 6 (3,840 Views)

Re: Green call button grayed out

I am unable to make any calls because the green call button is grayed out and typing in phone numbers or clicking on contacts seems to make no difference.

I would very much appreciate some assistance or help.  Is anyone else having the same problem?  Thanks.

mwflamm
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 6 (3,821 Views)

Can you right-click/control-click on the contact's name and get a Call option that way?

RoyMcCoy
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 6 (3,819 Views)

The grayed out green call button is a problem when you use "call phones" to call a number that is not in your contact list (and you don't want to put save it there). I reverted back to my all favorite Skype verion 4.2

s2s
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 6 of 6 (3,564 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling