FaceTime HD Camera not working only in Skype

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: FaceTime HD Camera not working only in Skype

Still NOT WORKING ON LATEST SKYPE ? Sounds like the old days when MICROSOFT was F&^%$N with MAC users in Microsoft Orifice and INTERNET Destroyer (NO SUPPORT) as soon as I Heard MICROSOFT bought out Skype I knew we were doomed.

Brand New Macbook Air 2013 w/SSD drive- purchased 9-2013, I will downgrade to an older version as a last try and try the virtual camera tip 1st! LOL, of course did not find this out until I was in Europe and trying to dial home USA.

Skype works fine with built in iSight on our OSX 10.6 MacBook? WHO DROPPED THE BALL on this fiasco? Each side will balame the other side (the same story continues in tech arena). I want my $10 in SKYPE credit doubled...

Here's the kicker

salesperson
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 31 of 38 (2,104 Views)

THIS IS A RESPONSE FROM SKYPE SUPPORT!!

worked fabulously for me on a MacAir 2013 with that OSX so i know it will work.

1. First Download the plugin, this is a "zip" (compressed) file, you need to unpack this file:
http://community.skype.com/skypec/attachments/skypec/Mac/58252/1/AppleCamera.plugin.zip

2. Open the Finder.

3. On the Mac menu on the upper left corner of the screen click on "Go" >> click on "Go to Folder"

4. Into the dialogue window paste /Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/  >> click on Go

5. In folder you have file AppleCamera.plugin make copy of this file on a flash drive or save it somewhere else safe. Don't rename or don't move it to Trash.
6. To copy the downloaded plugin: Go to Downloads folder and copy the downloaded file, be sure that is the AppleCamera.plugin not a zip file. (shortcut key "cmd + C")

7. Go to the folder /Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/ (steps#3 & 4) and paste the file (shortcut key "cmd + V")

8. If system ask what to do then press "Replace".

9. Restart your computer and open Skype.
thompsonj
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 32 of 38 (1,933 Views)

Nothing worked for me, force quit, reïnstal, old version, nothing! But yeah, finally! Thanks to you! 

Dtwkz
Novel Tourist
Message 33 of 38 (1,667 Views)

I have two airbooks with one with OS X 10.8.4 and the other 10.8.5 both with Skype 6.9

I'm having the same problem with the 10.8.5 machine (works in everything but Skype) and I've tried all the suggestions above.

On the 10.8.4 system I don't even have the directory

/Library/CoreMediaIO/

there is no AppleCamera.plugin and the camera works in all applications. On a third MAC (MBP) I deleted the AppleCamera.plugin and it still works so I don't think it's that file that is the problem?

Pat

patc890
Novel Tourist
Message 34 of 38 (1,629 Views)

Apple has released OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Supplemental Update

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1686

"Resolves an issue that may prevent certain applications from using the FaceTime HD camera on mid-2013 MacBook Air systems"

Also, please update Skype to the latest version 6.9 (517) by running "Check for updates..." in Skype.

MisterB
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 292
Message 35 of 38 (1,550 Views)

Thank you MisterB...

This worked for me: 

Apple has released OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Supplemental Update

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1686

drdennis76
Novel Tourist
Message 36 of 38 (1,398 Views)

How did you get yours to work? I've also downloaded ManyCam and my camera works for a few seconds and then it freezes and doesnt work after that... Need help!!!

JazzS03
Novel Tourist
Message 37 of 38 (861 Views)

Thank you very much! You save me!:manhappy:

AlexMont
Novel Tourist
Message 38 of 38 (794 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling