Easily switching between skype accounts on same ma...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Easily switching between skype accounts on same mac user

Hello,

I had an old version of Skype that allowed me to easily switch between my company's skype account and my personal account. There was an "account" tab and a "sign in as different user" option that then showed the other account I wasn't currently signed into and allowed me to switch without having to enter login info (it saved passwords and usernames). 

Now I have version 5.3.0.1093 and I have to sign out of skype and sign back in by entering username and password. Does anyone know how to do this in a more fluid way like the older version?

thanks!

mkichaa
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

If you sign out (under File just to the right of Skype in the menu bar at the top of your screen, you should then be able to create a new account and sign in.  Perhaps I'm not understanding the situation, and you've already tried that?

View solution in original post
mccormack214
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 20 (10,674 Views)

Re: Easily switching between skype accounts on same mac user

Hi - do what I did when I had my life similarly ruined by their idiot upgrade a while back... Download an old version! -  

try the

mac dot oldapps dot com

site 

It works just fine, same as it always did. 

Good luck.

GE

garyeason
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 2 of 20 (10,650 Views)

Re: Easily switching between skype accounts on same mac in version 5.3.... any help out there

I had an earlier version that did enable other user accounts to be accessed via a dialogue box to sign different users, why can I not do this on latest version

kavanaghtom
Casual Tourist
Message 3 of 20 (10,518 Views)

Re: Easily switching between skype accounts on same mac in version 5.3.... any help out there

kavanaghtom wrote:

I had an earlier version that did enable other user accounts to be accessed via a dialogue box to sign different users, why can I not do this on latest version

while I don't have solution to your problem, I may have a considerable suggestion that may help you.  You can actually run two Skype accounts at the same time in the same computer;

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA829/How-can-I-run-two-Skype-accounts-on-the-same-computer

VooDooDoll
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 239
Message 4 of 20 (10,515 Views)

Switching between skype accounts on same mac

I need to be able to sign into either my personal account or my work account but Skype doesn't even give me a place to change the name and password to sign in.  It just automatically signs into the account it had the last time it upgraded.  The technique for using 2 accounts at the same time only applies to Windows and I have a Mac.

How can I get back to a version that works?  One that will let me use either of the two accounts I need?

cfields
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 20 (9,729 Views)

Re: Switching between skype accounts on same mac

I am having the same problem. I had signed up for a Skype account a long time ago on my Mac, but the account never seemed to work, so I forgot all about it. Now I need to set up a different Skype account for a side business, but Skype won't let me cancel the other account or Login as a different user.

WHY NOT? THIS MAKES *NO* SENSE! I've never heard of a company that won't allow it's customer to cancel or close their account, lol!

Did you find an answer to this? I *really* need to have this changed ASAP.

olivinacouture
Casual Tourist
Message 6 of 20 (9,605 Views)

If you sign out (under File just to the right of Skype in the menu bar at the top of your screen, you should then be able to create a new account and sign in.  Perhaps I'm not understanding the situation, and you've already tried that?

--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
mkichaa
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 345
Message 7 of 20 (9,599 Views)

Awesome! Thanks...this post should be at the top! Solved.
GeneHiltonVoice
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 20 (8,802 Views)

Re: Easily switching between skype accounts on same mac user

[ Edited ]

RE: "Accepted Solution by mkichaa": 

This solution doesn't work for me (I have v. 6.11 for Mac).

Namely:

if I sign out and then click on "sign in with a different account",

I see a form looking like this:

Sign in

[Skype name]

[Microsoft account]

and, when I click on [Skype name], it brings me right back to 

[my previous accout name]

[password]

Overall, IMO, since the Microsoft purchase, the usability of Skype is decreased 10 times.

whatever_man
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 20 (3,833 Views)

Re: 

>> You can actually run two Skype accounts at the same time in the same computer;

>>  https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA829/How-can-I-run-two-Skype-accounts-on-the-same-computer

The text under the link says (in particular): 

"Find the Skype.exe file in C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\"  :--))))

Ha, ha, ha... Dear Microsoft people, please notice that this whole thread is about Mac, not Windows. You need to understand that the time when everybody had windows is long gone.

But more importantly, you should QA and DEBUG new versions and have a REGRESSION TEST set up.

6.11 is unusable, point.

whatever_man
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 20 (3,831 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling