Disable Mood Messages FOREVER

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Disable Mood Messages FOREVER

Mood messages are incredibly obnoxious, and I want to remove/disbale them forever. But I do not see any settings in Preferences for this.

HELP!

donelsonw
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 1 of 15 (4,888 Views)

Re: Disable Mood Messages FOREVER

You may choose not to burden others with your mood, but if your contacts prefer to use them, you're pretty much stuck with them. Ah, for the good old days of simple telephony without all the bells and whistles...
--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
mkichaa
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 255
Message 2 of 15 (4,791 Views)

Thanks.

Are there any plug-ins which block the **bleep** things?

donelsonw
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 15 (4,776 Views)

You can disable the mood message feature. I use a Mac. If you use Windows, the preference window may have a slightly different layout. However, the option should still be there. First, go to the advanced preferences page: Skype > Preferences > Advanced Then, uncheck the "Enable Mood Message Feed" option. Voila! Your life should be improved. :happy:
msb0319
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 15 (4,751 Views)

Thanks, I have done that on Mac. But still sometimes seem to get them. Maybe a bug which will be fixed in an update.

donelsonw
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 15 (4,748 Views)

[ Edited ]

I also disabled them on both my work and home Macs and STILL I get them. They are seriously aggravating! Clearly Skype has a massive bug in it. Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't want the world to know what [edited for inappropriate language] mood I'm in (especially right now). Hey Skype, is there a [edited for inappropriate language]mood message?

emergingdzns
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 15 (4,652 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have been all through this board looking for fixes for this and other issues, and almost all I see from "super users" are posts like this with greater or lesser degrees of snide condescension. Aside from being insulting, Skype's approach to this is downright retarded.

First off, how can their own moderated message board possibly not be an "official" support area? Please. At best, "community support" is a cheap method to avoid paying for actual support staff. At worst it's an image control scam. Neither scenario is focused on actual support.

By "scam" I mean a way of avoiding the public's questions while simultaneously feigning openness. By giving us a hosted place to vent they are merely presenting a facade of attentiveness. And whenever a comment or question gets too critical the always-present "super users" swoop in to assure us that Skype Knows Best so we can just Like It Or Lump It. And yeah, I'm putting "super users" in quotes because I'm sure many if not all of them are actually staff members or shills.

It's sickening.

You already know this in your heart, but here's what's really going on. Unerasable mood messages and that auto-loading home thingy are asinine "features" dictated into Skype by its half-witted marketers and execs who suffer from Facebook envy. What these awkward design elements are actually for is to try to trick us into thinking Skype is Facebook. Or Twitter. Or whatever the Internet fad du jour is.

While I'm sure this works on a lot of grandmas, it's still crass, underhanded, moronic and annoying as hell. And as I said earlier, insulting.

Dear Skype staff,

Your bosses are idiots. And so are a lot of you.

Yours with seething annoyance,

The Internet

Robtmyers
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 7
Message 7 of 15 (4,530 Views)

TO THE SKYPE STAFF: Please fix this issue as soon as possible. It has been going on for quite a while now and is extremely annoying to a lot of people but should be fairly easy to correct on your end.
vzsgabe
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 15 (4,353 Views)

I agree - infuriating. It took me a long time to find out this. I'm using Mac. Go back to Skype v. 5.3. If you are using Time Machine backups (on Mac) it's easy, pick a date in early February 2012, you will find 5.3 there. Replace the Skype.app. I think i deleted History as well.

tweedledee
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 15 (4,253 Views)

My current Skype says version 2.8.0.866

Not sure where 5.3 can be found. Do I want it? Or is v2.8 somehow better?

donelsonw
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 15 (4,247 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling