Delayed Messages

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Delayed Messages

[ Edited ]

What's the deal with this?  I could have piggybacked on another thread, but it's probably more important that people continue to post new threads about this problem so Skype actually sees it and tries to do something about it.

I just received two messages from a friend on Skype - one from 6:40 AM and one from 6:10 PM.  I received them just now at 7:36 PM.

Yesterday I received a message from a friend on Skype at 1:18 AM.  Yesterday's date was July 23; the message from my friend was originally sent at 1:37 PM on July 18.

A five day delay.  Really?  And this is just going to keep going on and on while nobody tries to fix anything?

If this is happening with messages from friends, I can only suspect that it's happening with business-related messages as well.  I work online and rely on online communication methods like Skype on a daily basis, but now it seems like I can't rely on Skype at all.

Any resolution?  Any update?  Anything at all?

coreymcollins
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 12
Message 1 of 46 (12,558 Views)

Re: Delayed Messages

Skype currently does not support "Offline messaging", e.g. storing and holding of messages until the recipient goes online again. That means that for an IM to be delivered, both sender and receiver need to be online in Skype at the same time.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
0 Kudos
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13890
Message 2 of 46 (12,540 Views)

I'm sorry but as a Skype user, I find this thread troubling IMHO. There are people who use the paid service for business purposes (like, ME) who get messages delayed for hours or DAYS after they are sent, yet are being told that both users need to be online at the same time to recieve their messages. Usually I am logged in all the time with my client running and messages show up hours after they are sent. It is ridiculous.

Allow offline messaging instead and alleiviate this issue.

coreymcollins wrote:

What's the deal with this?  I could have piggybacked on another thread, but it's probably more important that people continue to post new threads about this problem so Skype actually sees it and tries to do something about it.

I just received two messages from a friend on Skype - one from 6:40 AM and one from 6:10 PM.  I received them just now at 7:36 PM.

Yesterday I received a message from a friend on Skype at 1:18 AM.  Yesterday's date was July 23; the message from my friend was originally sent at 1:37 PM on July 18.

A five day delay.  Really?  And this is just going to keep going on and on while nobody tries to fix anything?

If this is happening with messages from friends, I can only suspect that it's happening with business-related messages as well.  I work online and rely on online communication methods like Skype on a daily basis, but now it seems like I can't rely on Skype at all.

Any resolution?  Any update?  Anything at all?

quiteprefurredw
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 3 of 46 (12,399 Views)

[ Edited ]

Same thing is happening here. Except part of a group. I am online ALL the time, so there's no reason that if someone sends a message that I wouldn't receive it. It has to be something with the network. But the heartbeat says "fine". Mmmmhmmm, SURE it is. Maybe we'll just all switch to Yahoo!.

scotpgot
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 4 of 46 (12,365 Views)

Not going to happen, since MS is ditching Live Messenger and making Skype the default  messaging client for WinBlows 8 later on next year. 

0 Kudos
quiteprefurredw
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 5 of 46 (12,347 Views)

Well, this sucks. My Skype is pretty much useless. I can hardly send anything out, and nothing reliably.

scotpgot
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 6 of 46 (12,335 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes I am having this problem too. Sometimes, my friends' messages do not show up until I send them something.

This is quite ridiculous - I cannot believe something like this has not been (and does not seem like it is about to be) fixed!

Skype is quite horrific, I might add, with other problems such as the jumbled messages out of order so that I have to personally sift through my old messages to look for the new ones. Unbelievable,

shayneyskype
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 7 of 46 (11,882 Views)

Is Skype going to acknowledge this issue or just keep spitting the same template response about both users having to be online? We are regularly getting messages in sever delay when both parties are online. It's seemingly random. Sometimes I see a message late and sometimes I see it real time and a colleague sees it late (for a group chat).

Thanks

Avi1231
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 8 of 46 (11,511 Views)

Same here. I've been keeping up with Skype's auto-updates, but some messages are taking 15 minutes and others have taken over 14 hours hours to get to me. I know for a fact that the other person was online during the 15 minute delay, so the "rule" that both parties need to be on doesn't seem to apply here. I know they got my messages because they responded to multiple questions I sent their way, but I didn't receive their replies until about 15 minutes later.

This is ridiculous. Skype is unpredictable and I cannot rely on Skype anymore.

jeanegan
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 9 of 46 (11,117 Views)

I agree with your comments. A message sent to me on the 4th August arrived on the 10th August. And we had both been online at the same time, on several occasions, during that period. This delayed receipt of messages has happened several times. I have decided to stop using Skype Messaging, and will just use it to for calls if needed.

0 Kudos
CloudCatcher
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 10 of 46 (10,763 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling