Appear Offline to Some but Online to Others?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Appear Offline to Some but Online to Others?

[ Edited ]

Is it possible to appear offline to some people in your contact list, but online to others? For instance if I don't want my work contacts to be able to see I'm online after hours but I do want my friends to be able to see I'm online? 

Im operating on a Mac.

Thanks

Moonhammy
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 22
Message 1 of 46 (136,688 Views)

Re: Appear Offline to Some but Online to Others?

No, currently this feature is not available.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 2 of 46 (136,678 Views)

Moonhammy wrote:

Is it possible to appear offline to some people in your contact list, but online to others? For instance if I don't want my work contacts to be able to see I'm online after hours but I do want my friends to be able to see I'm online? 

Im operating on a Mac.

Thanks

in your case, you can temporarily block the contact/s whom you don't want to see you online.  Blocked contacts will not be able to see the status on the contact that blocked them.  Then you can just unblock them anytime you wish to.  They will receive no notification or whatsoever when you block them, so they will be clueless that you blocked/unblocked them.

If you need to block/unblock multiple contacts, you can also place those contacts under a contact category.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1660
Message 3 of 46 (136,677 Views)

[ Edited ]

It should also be noted that this blocking concept, will not work, if you allow your status to be shown on the Web.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 4 of 46 (136,675 Views)

[ Edited ]

TheUberOverLord wrote:

It should also be noted that this blocking concept, will not work, if you allow your status to be shown on the Web.

regardless if the user set their status to be shown on the web or not, blocked contacts will not be able to see if they are online or not via the Skype client. So it will work and many users are already incorporating this practice .

I think there are not many users who knows how to check online status via Skype webpage (the create Skype buttons in particular), and by default, the option to show status on webpage/s is set to disabled.  But to make sure click Tools >> Options >> Privacy >> Privacy Settings, and double-check if Allow My Online Status to be Shown on the Web is not checked.  :happy:

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1660
Message 5 of 46 (136,668 Views)

[ Edited ]

Folks, you're asking the question all wrong! The question is

"WHEN will the facility to mark your status as offline to a contact or group of contacts be available?"

Other IM platforms support this - even the (@*$&% - bleeped out) Windows Live Messenger!!

NO.  I do NOT want to block and unblock a contact.  That is a way over-the-top method of handling what is, essentially, a simple feature. 

I use Skype for Business and Personal reasons.  At any given point in a day I want to temporarily appear offline to some and not others, depending on what I am doing.  I also want to see their current status - something that appearing offline achieves but not something (I understand) that happens for a blocked contact.

Come on, Skype Developers, this feature has been asked for by your users for YEARS!!!  About time you listened.

sylkstream
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 45
Message 6 of 46 (136,633 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am using a Mac and downloaded the latest version of Skype. How do I block a whole group, I just could not figure out how to do that.

Thanks for the help

P.S. where can I put in a suggestion? 

bjoern83
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 7 of 46 (136,338 Views)

Not sure that it's possible to block an entire group; others may have better info. But as to leaving a suggestion: the latest releases of Skype include, under the Skype drop down menu in the menu bar, 'Provide Skype Feedback.' That might be the way to go. By the bye, Skype employees may occasionally visit this user forum, but one can never rely on the forum as a means for communicating with Skype directly.
--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
mkichaa
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 342
Message 8 of 46 (136,333 Views)

that would be a great addition!
islandbhoi
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 9 of 46 (136,134 Views)

However, if they are blocked, will I get ANY notification in Skype that they are sending something to me if they try to chat with me or connect bvy voice/video?

Can you block/unblock an entire group or category at once?

(I'm a consultant. I need to see when clients try to chat or call; I need my staff to see when I'm online; clients should not see when I'm online.)

kevincrenshaw
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 10 of 46 (128,985 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling