video won't work

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

video won't work

[ Edited ]

Using skype on a mac 

video works in app Photo Booth when I test it

but won't work when I use skype  (worked fine just a month ago...?)

I downladed latest version, to find a tools option

does not show tools/options on top bar to adjust settings

what am I mssing here?

thanks!

rwakeford
Honorary Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Skype won't work if you've used either FaceTime or PhotoBooth. Close down all three programmes, restart Skype and your video should work.

As for tools/options, with Skype open go to the Skype menu on the top menu bar and select Skype/Preferences.

View solution in original post
0 Kudos
kathyorlandopin
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 39 (72,382 Views)

Re: video won't work

Skype won't work if you've used either FaceTime or PhotoBooth. Close down all three programmes, restart Skype and your video should work.

As for tools/options, with Skype open go to the Skype menu on the top menu bar and select Skype/Preferences.

rwakeford
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 162
Message 2 of 39 (72,353 Views)

Thanks! I just tested and it seemed fine now

... hope that sticks!

0 Kudos
kathyorlandopin
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 39 (72,349 Views)

Hi, I haven't used either FaceTime or PhotoBooth but still can't get my video to show for receiver. I have checked in Preferences and can see myself there. I could see the person I called. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

cschulley10
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 4 of 39 (71,606 Views)

I have the same issue. No other programs like photobooth or facetime are open. I have the most recent update for skype, and have reinstalled it many times. I have even tried to install earier versions of skype. My video still won't turn on. It will automatically shut itself off when I click on the button. 

calebdudek
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 7
Message 5 of 39 (71,270 Views)

Same deal here.  Furious.  I also got a loud automated voice message one day when I tried one of my contacts. warning - return to safety, go to .......for protection activiation, that turned out to be a 3rd party to pay into, which i did  not do.  was that a hack attempt? did that start this?  I was fine before.....please let me know if you have figured this out. My photobooth and all work fine, and I am not on other things at once.

jk60
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 39 (71,023 Views)

Re: video won't work since Skype update

My video won't work either since the latest Skype update. I really need it and can't figure out how to fix this issue. Has anyone found an answer!!!! I am not using Face Time or any other program like that.

linoleum11
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 7 of 39 (69,827 Views)

Same applies here. Neither of the two cameras (built in an iglasses) do work on skype, black screen shown. FotoBoth and Facetime not running. Mac Book Pro 2.2GHZ Intel Core i7, OSX 10.7.5

luc1949
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 39 (69,742 Views)

Video doesn't work on my mac either since I upgraded to the latest version of skype. I don't run photobooth or whatever the other thing is you mentioned in the 'solution' so they can't be the reason. I selected video call, but it only starts a voice call, and when I push the video button it goes on for a second or two on my screen and then switches itself back off and says video is not switched on. Help please, either a solution or how to go back to the previous version of skype would also be fine. Tx.

karlithomas
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 9 of 39 (69,625 Views)

[ Edited ]

this problem is NOT solved.  I wish skype would start listening to us.   I had no problem a week ago, and last night my skype video was not working - kept pressing the camera button, would stay on for maybe a second, then go back off.  Frustrating!  and no, I was not running Facetime or Photo Booth, and I did restart my laptop and skype.. no luck. 

ziggyandsasha
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 10
Message 10 of 39 (69,332 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling