"online" status

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

"online" status

Hello,

I have a problem... I am using mac OS X version 10.6.8

I connect to skype at start up and I would like my computer to stay connected to skype and on "online" status so I can hear skype "ringing" if someone calls me when I am in another room. My problem is that when my computer goes to "sleep", skype changes the status from "online" to "offline", and even when I keep my computer on and connected to the internet with my wireless at home, people that want to contact me say that I am "offline" and the call cannot be completed.

Any ideas to keep my skype "online" 24/7 ?

Thanks for your help!

Cecilia.58

Cecilia58
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 9 (4,318 Views)

Re: "online" status

Hi, 

The problem with allowing your Mac to "sleep" is that OS X will kill all network connections to save the power. While your computer is sleeping, only very essential services are kept on in order to guarantee that you can continue from where you left off.

Unfortunately there is no fix for that besides not letting your computer go to sleep.

-----

If you found my post helpful, please give "Kudos". If my post solved the issue, please mark it as a solution.

Click here to find out how to contact Customer Service directly
sirel
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 42
Message 2 of 9 (4,103 Views)

I am using window 7 and cannot change my status to on line. I click on status but it remains stuck on do not disturb. I did not click on do not disturb as i only use Skype after arranging with friends and family to come on so we can all chat.

Can you please help me with this. Thank you

0 Kudos
grannyynwa
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 9 (4,037 Views)

I cannot change my on line status. Help!

0 Kudos
hanserik6
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 9 (3,912 Views)

grannyynwa:

This is a Mac forum. Please post your question under the Windows forum and you'll have more luck.

0 Kudos
senortalones
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 35
Message 5 of 9 (3,891 Views)

who is this

0 Kudos
AppleEater
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 9 (3,662 Views)

I have Version 6.0.0.2968 and I am having trouble staying online when I don't have the application open the entire time meaning I am not on Skype the entire time. If I start browsing, it goes from online to offline, which is really annoying since no-one can reach me. Please help!
0 Kudos
Irianose
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 9 (3,053 Views)

My thought is to check your connection to the internet.

When your internet connection is flakey, then Skype can be knocked offline by other applications, I & my partner have done that many times, usually Saturday evening or holidays when the internet is very busy.  Going to a higher quality connection (FTTC now) has greatly reduced the problem.

If the internet connection could be better, connecting to the router with wifi gives a much less reliable connection then a wired / ethernet connection.  I network my computers with homeplugs that use the power supply wiring as the network wiring, they only work on the supply ring they are plugged into, but are a very simple and effective way to create a reliable network.

0 Kudos
peterchdad2kkec
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 75
Message 8 of 9 (3,042 Views)

I cannot change from "Do not disturb" to "on line"  Please help

0 Kudos
maaike201
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 9 (2,897 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling