Was Someone Trying to Hack My Skype?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Was Someone Trying to Hack My Skype?

I'm a new user so I'm still trying to learn my way around all this. While signed onto Skype as I was trying to find contacts to add, I kept getting a message from my Norton Firewall saying that another computer at some random IP address was trying to access my computer through Skype. Is this someone attempting to hack my account/ computer or someone accepting a contact request and trying to start a chat? Wasn't sure so I blocked the access to be on the safe side till I found out otherwise.

0 Kudos
VETanguay
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (2,026 Views)

Re: Was Someone Trying to Hack My Skype?

In all probability, it is NOT a hacking attempt.  Skype is a peer-to-peer system that uses users' (an interesting turn of phrase, is it not?) computers to relay the calls between the caller and the called.  Norton is probably reporting that access.  Others with a better command of the technical language can probably explain it more clearly than I.  Bottom line: not something to worry about.  Probably.  :wink:

--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
0 Kudos
mkichaa
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 354
Message 2 of 7 (1,914 Views)

If nothing showed up as an "incoming call" in my Skype and it came up only in my Nortone, then how do I know it's from someone I can trust? I guess that's my concern because I don't want to allow just anyone to gain access.

0 Kudos
VETanguay
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 7 (1,912 Views)

Unfortunately, Skype depends on such access to function.  Of course, you can configure things so that any attempt to access your ports is denied (not something I do, so I can't advise on the specific steps to take).  Short of tracing (and evaluating) the legitimacy of the source of the attempts, you have no surefire means for knowing for certain that these attempts are being made by Skype or anyone else.  It's probably as I've suggested: that it's Skype doing its thing.  But the only way to be absolutely safe is to block all such attempts.  Sorry.  I'm becoming a bit repetitive...

--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
0 Kudos
mkichaa
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 354
Message 4 of 7 (1,906 Views)

I have this problem too and it is getting very frustrating. 

How do I stop it permanently? 

Did you get any help in stopping it? 

0 Kudos
filippanilsson1
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 7 (1,843 Views)

If you have had a request from ghana I think there is a scam originating from this area I have accepted a fiend request from this area and shortly after I have had either a computer security alert or someone try to hack my computer

VETanguay wrote:

I'm a new user so I'm still trying to learn my way around all this. While signed onto Skype as I was trying to find contacts to add, I kept getting a message from my Norton Firewall saying that another computer at some random IP address was trying to access my computer through Skype. Is this someone attempting to hack my account/ computer or someone accepting a contact request and trying to start a chat? Wasn't sure so I blocked the access to be on the safe side till I found out otherwise.

0 Kudos
rickcis
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 7 (1,477 Views)

Would Norton suggest that you are using Skype on Windows?

Skype has a similar problem on Macs using Little Snitch to managing outgoing connections.  Skype will be almost comtinually making connections to other users, if you have a connection monitor, this will be continually giving warnings.  As Skype is a peer to peer application, spreading the data sent over connections to many computers at the same time, then you have to let these connections run.  This does mean that every user is sharing the bandwidth required to run Skype, to run on a user to server based model would require some pretty heavy investment in server farms with the size of Skype's user base.  Guess even MS would baulk at that?

0 Kudos
peterchdad2kkec
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 76
Message 7 of 7 (1,466 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling