Video is turned off on Mac

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Video is turned off on Mac

[ Edited ]

Thanks in advance for your help.  I have a new MacBook Air.  My video works when using Apple's FaceTime in a Wi-Fi environment.  With Skype, I get a message saying my video is turned off.  The video is not displayed when checking in Skype>Preferences>Audio/Video, een though my Built-In FaceTime Camera is checked and selected.  I have the current version of Mac Lion and of Skype.  Why isn't my video on in Skype, and how can I fix that?

marymrood
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 18
Message 1 of 42 (187,943 Views)

Re: Video is turned off on Mac

I have the same problem.  Called Apple and said I need to reinstall Skype...No I really battle to get skype onto my mac...

Juriena
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 2 of 42 (187,934 Views)

same problem. reinstalled old version but still "video is turned off" Grrrrrrr

RenaeGordon
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 3 of 42 (187,874 Views)

Same problem here. Restarting the computer works, but the problem appears after the first Skype video call has been made.

Apple Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (latest updates)

Skype 5.6.0.203 (latest)

Macbook Pro 2009 (unibody model)

This is different from a similar issue I've had before where Skype suddenly don't "see" the built in camera. Now it finds the camera, but I cannot turn on video - I get the same message as you.

troed
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 4 of 42 (187,685 Views)

I had the same problem and just figured it out. You have to quit both Skype and FaceTime then restart Skype without Facetime running in the background. It should work.

Best of luck

jdemmitt
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 5 of 42 (186,918 Views)

I have uninstalled all skype today and installed the latest version for mac. I have an imac and i can see the other person but my video wont work..it tells me it turn it on but when i click it nothing happens and i have tried the preferences but i dont have the option to turn video on. The hd camera is ticked in the box...why why why wont it work. Its driving me mad ... it works on both the ipad and the iphone so what in simple terms do I need to do

smf47
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 6 of 42 (186,729 Views)

it also has to do with ANY application that uses the video camera,,,

can't just reboot or uninstall / install skype, doesn't matter!!!

need to ensure facetime/photo booth/imovie/ and any other camera apps are completely closed (quit), not just minimized,,, guarantee you have one open mate,,,

good luck!!!

jess_g
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 42 (186,191 Views)

I had this problem and found that any other programme that uses the camera like photo booth etc. has to be quit before it will allow the video to run on skype.  I quit these applications and video started working straightaway. Hope this helps someone!

kateredleap
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 8 of 42 (185,480 Views)

The new version is not reliable at all.  Have a Mac and sometimes skype just disappears completely or half my address book is missing.  Have to re-download it.   How did you manage to get the old version downloaded?   When i tried it would not allow it by not showing the old version available for download.    Should never have upgraded to the new version.

0 Kudos
JC573
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 42 (185,461 Views)

Thanks for figuring this out for me! Had Photobooth running in the background and was mystified as to why Skype video suddenly wasn't working. Closed Photobooth and video came back.

0 Kudos
LisaF
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 42 (184,914 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling