Typing very slow and laggy

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Typing very slow and laggy

[ Edited ]

Hi, so I'm running Skype 5.3.0.1093 on Mac OS X 10.6.8 and for the past few days my typing has been very laggy.  I'm used to this when it comes to typing up to 3 lines before hitting enter but it lags now with just a single word, sometimes taking up to about 5-10 seconds to finish entering the text that I've typed, and I have to sit watching each letter appear individually AFTER I've typed it.

I upgraded to the version mentioned above thinking that it would solve the problem and while it pared down some of the delay, it's still slow.

I've fixed the privacy settings in Spotlight as I saw recommended in another thread but nothing works.

Help?

n30nzombie
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 1 of 8 (3,927 Views)

Re: Typing very slow and laggy

Same here, also be grateful for any help from the community or Skype itself.
richardl3
Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 2 of 8 (3,825 Views)

I'm having the same problem.

Thanks for any help

salvoc
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 8 (3,817 Views)

Okay it's getting worse again, lag is getting back into the unmanageable department.

Seriously, a little help would be nice.

n30nzombie
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 4 of 8 (3,797 Views)

YES YES YES. Skype should be embarrassed of the lagginess of this application on Mac. It is HORRIBLE.
jacklink01
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 8 (3,788 Views)

I'm now on 5.6 and still have this annoying type lag.... Com on Skype, do something....

What's the problem? Since Version 5.0 we have this problem and Skype did nothing.....

0 Kudos
mymotion
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 8 (3,691 Views)

Same trouble here... i'm on a mac osx 10.6.8 w/ skype 5.5.0.2340 and notice very slow typing after updating software!!!

0 Kudos
thebzman
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 7 of 8 (3,685 Views)

I got the same problem all of a sudden... well I reinstall the system on a new disk and moved the preferences along. I have done this before without any hickups. The resolution was to:

1. Copy the Skype preference folder, as a backup, to the desktop (or to wherever) if you want to save the chat history. It is located here "Your disk/users/your username/Library/Application Support/Skype"
  2. Delete the same folder (Your disk/users/your username/Library/Application Support/Skype), as you now have a backup on the desktop and restart Skype. Login and then quit skype.
  3. Replace the files "main.db" and "main.db-journal" from your backup folder (Skype/skype username/...) into the newly created folder here "Your disk/users/your username/Library/Application Support/Skype"
  4. Start Skype again and typing should be normal and you have your chat history

This worked fine for me. :happy:

0 Kudos
devata
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 8 (2,989 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling