Skype causes my internet connection to drop very f...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype causes my internet connection to drop very frequently

This is a problem that just began to occur not more than 2 months ago. I've been using Skype for over a year now and I haven't changed anything much over the course of this year, so I'm baffled as to what caused Skype to suddenly be such a big problem for me. I haven't confirmed that Skype is the root of the problem, but I've narrowed down the causes of my constantly dropping internet connection and Skype seems to be the most probable reason. When I completely quit Skype on my Mac my internet hardly disconnects, but the moment I turn it on, even if I'm not actually chatting or anything, my internet will begin to disconnect in intervals of 5-10 minutes. Recently it's gotten so bad that I spend over an hour trying to send an email.

I read in the Skype forums that you could turn of the upnp but that's for Windows. As a Mac user I'm unsure how to solve this problem and was hoping someone could help.

Thanks.

marcuschookt
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 5 (2,650 Views)

Re: Skype causes my internet connection to drop very frequently

Has this been resolved? Im having the exact same problem.. 

gonca_tuncay
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 2 of 5 (1,506 Views)

Ugh... I'm also having this problem, and it's almost a year after the OP.

Pentatonia86
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 5 (918 Views)

Your issue might be related to how your router/modem handles uPnP or an issue with your available upload/download bandwidth.  If you have a Mac and cannot disable uPnP, you can generally find a "uPnP " option in your router and disable it there.  So even if Skype tries to use uPnP, your router won't respond by opening connections.  Generally speaking loss of Internet is the inability of a modem/router to handle the amount of connections Skype initiates.  A power cycle of your Internet equipment might help, but a firmware or hardware change might be required (modem/router/wired/wireless device) to maintain a stable connection if not due to line conditions in your area. 

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1455
Message 4 of 5 (906 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your totally nonsense and sophisticated response on uPnP, Skype still causes the same internet problem every time we run it! The poor program was working perferctly before Microsoft touched the code!

SAMArts
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 5 (662 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling