Skype Sounds Work but Cannot Hear Caller (cannot e...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Skype Sounds Work but Cannot Hear Caller (cannot even hear a Skype Test Call)

I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro with Lion. I restored my Time Machine backup of my older computer which ran Snow Leopard. I had Skype 5.2 installed and experienced trouble - I could hear all skype sounds, a call ring, chat notifications etc. but when I connected a skype-to-skype call I could not hear the other person. I've tried several different callers and could not hear them, I even tried the Skype Test Call several times - which would connect but I could not hear the automated voice answer the test call.

I upgraded to Skype 5.3 and still experienced this problem. I uninstalled Skype and then installed 5.3 - again nothing, I've restarted, I've shut down entirely and rebooted, I've tried installing Skype beta 5.4 - all to no avail. I've confirmed my correct audio input and output settings, I've tried using headphones and headsets, built-in speakers etc. all to no avail. This is the only sound issue - and the only application issue - that I am experiencing.

I hear Skype sounds, but cannot hear calls. I've tried searching this and have not find a resolution, any assistance to fix this - or the cause - would be much appreciated.

fiasco22
Casual Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

In a separate thread user CJR suggested:

"
I had the same problem - uninstalled (including removing preferences) and the sound came back. Besides moving the app to the trash I also deleted:

Delete the folder User/Library/Application Support/Skype

Delete the file Macintosh HD:Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist
Delete the file User/Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist

"

I tried this using the program AppZapper to remove every file associated with Skype on my computer, and re-installed 5.2 and now the caller's sound works. WHEW!

View solution in original post
0 Kudos
fiasco22
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 23 (14,441 Views)

Re: Skype Sounds Work but Cannot Hear Caller (cannot even hear a Skype Test Call)

I have the same problem... have osx 10.7 for several weeks and Skype worked fine with it until yesterday. I get all the sound but while making a phone call I can't hear the other caller although the other caller can hear me. Tried everything... no answer to it! Is it a Skype issue?
0 Kudos
globez
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 23 (14,291 Views)

Re: Skype Sounds Work but Cannot Hear Caller (cannot even hear a Skype Test Call)

I've tried installing older versions of Skype and have tried logging into a different s/n - still not working.

Does anyone have any other fix suggestions? Any help would be MAJORLY appreciated. thanks.

0 Kudos
fiasco22
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 23 (14,271 Views)

In a separate thread user CJR suggested:

"
I had the same problem - uninstalled (including removing preferences) and the sound came back. Besides moving the app to the trash I also deleted:

Delete the folder User/Library/Application Support/Skype

Delete the file Macintosh HD:Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist
Delete the file User/Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist

"

I tried this using the program AppZapper to remove every file associated with Skype on my computer, and re-installed 5.2 and now the caller's sound works. WHEW!

fiasco22
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 23 (14,251 Views)

first mac I have owned...unsure how to do all this....at his point, guessing, if I had it to do over...purchase something else, this is a huge learning curve.   anyway, I'll try to get a techie to do this for me.

I am in Mexico...so easier said than done.

balymena
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 23 (14,239 Views)

I know this is not a lot of help but I, and several others, are expereincing the same problem (see other threads). I've tried everything I can think of but the problem persists.

Anyone from Skype or Apple out there who wants to comment?  The silnce is currently deafening!

graham_lappin
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 6 of 23 (14,236 Views)

I have the same problem, only I have Skype on a Dell laptop.  I can get the video on both sides, but who I call cannot hear me and I can't hear them.  My speakers, microphone and video check out okay. ???? Any suggestions will help.

dbowie9
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 23 (14,226 Views)

I have the same problem. I call call fine from comptuer to computer, i get audio and video.

When i use the echo 123 it works fine too...

But when i call a landline or a cellphone i can't hear the other person... And when i do hear the other person, they can't hear me ...

I've tried everything and nothing seems to sort this issue out. I can't keep this going ...

insightd
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 23 (13,775 Views)

sounds

I can hear people but no-one can hear me

lulabel1
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 9 of 23 (13,621 Views)

Re: sounds

Yeah the software and service has turned to **bleep**...

Everything works fine with google voice and yahoo talk ... So its defo Skype

0 Kudos
insightd
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 23 (13,497 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling