Skype Helper? A virus? or legitimate program?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype Helper? A virus? or legitimate program?

I run the latest Mac version of Skype on an iMac using 10.8.5

Today when I opened Skype it asked me to install "Skype Helper" in order to continue. I needed to make a call so I proceeded... but

What is "Skype Helper"? Is it a virus or trojan?

or is it a legitimate add on?

I googled "Skype helper" but can only find an add on for Windows Internet Explorer... which of course I dont use.

0 Kudos
Polariser
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (1,470 Views)

Re: Skype Helper? A virus? or legitimate program?

Hi!

I believe you are seeing the upgrade installer helper.

You may be seeing this if, for example, you are not logged in with an account that has admin rights.

When that is the case, and when Skype wants to update, it will use a helper tool with elevated privileges to install Skype, only if given admin rights.

This is the way Apple prefers it, for security reasons: Skype is not the one given admin access, only a small, helper tool.

--
Thibault
Skype for Mac Engineer

Please do not send me a private message about your crashes: do that in the main forums instead.
If Skype is crashing, please check this thread.
If this doesn't fix your problem, please check how to report a crash/hang, or any other issue
0 Kudos
Thibault
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 113
Message 2 of 4 (1,460 Views)

Dear Thibault

Many thanks for your helpful reply.

I never saw this type of message before but indeed it happened in another user account with only "standard" rights (not an admin user).

How I can rest my mind :happy: 

0 Kudos
Polariser
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 4 (1,449 Views)

I got this too. 

Can you tell me how to delete it? Where did it install?

I gave it permission to install by accident, then I immediately deleted skype including the library folder, and reinstalled skype.  but the helper app is still there i think, because i wasnt asked again to install it.

0 Kudos
bluezzz
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 4 (1,231 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling