Skype 6.3 crashes on Mac OSX 10.8.3

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Re: Skype 6.3 crashes on Mac OSX 10.8.3

I can't find gmalloc...kind of tech-illiterate.  I was searching my library but nothing

0 Kudos
Dan2099
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 151 of 211 (713 Views)

Antony_H wrote:

Hi,

Frequently but not always, when I get an incoming call from another Skype user, I click the 'accept' button to take the call and.... nothing happens. The ringing sound continues but I get the spinning beach ball of death.

The only fix (I have tried "just waiting"!) is to force quit skype, relaunch, call the other party back. When force quiting the FQ window does not report skype as not responding, although it is unresponsive.

Initially this was happening on Skype 5.3; first thing I did was to upgrade to Skype 6.3.0.582 - no change.

iMac 27" (latest model)
OSX 10.8.2
2.9GHz i5
24GB 1600MHz DDR3

I am using a Plantronics ".Audio 655 DSP" USB headset; I have had this and used it with Skype for 18 months (since OSX 10.6 on an older iMac 24").

I formerly had Soundflower installed; I removed this earlier today thinking it may be related but the same problem has recurred since.

I have no other external audio input/output devices attached.

This iMac is only a couple of weeks old; install is restored from a TimeMachine backup from my previous machine.

Zip of (hopefully all) relevant files comes to about 19MB as that is the size of the 'skydebug' file, however when I try to attach it to this post, the 'post' action just hangs. So, posting first without the zip to see if the attachment is the problem or if it's the forum having an issue (tried on Safari on OSX and now Firefox on Win7).

Hi!

You can try uploading it on WeTransfer or any other file sharing service of your convenience (Dropbox, etc.) :happy:

--
Thibault
Skype for Mac Engineer

Please do not send me a private message about your crashes: do that in the main forums instead.
If Skype is crashing, please check this thread.
If this doesn't fix your problem, please check how to report a crash/hang, or any other issue
0 Kudos
Thibault
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 111
Message 152 of 211 (659 Views)

Thanks. Having tried again and "just left it" ticking over, I eventually have a message saying the max upload size is 10MB. The log file is 19MB and wont compress any in the zip, which would explain a lot then!

I'll give google drive a go, thanks.

0 Kudos
Antony_H
Novel Adventurer
Message 153 of 211 (652 Views)

Dan2099 wrote:

I can't find gmalloc...kind of tech-illiterate.  I was searching my library but nothing

Ah. If you're not aware of this, then you have a malware (trojan), called Flashback:

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/trojan-downloader_osx_flashback_i.shtml

On this page, you will find a tool to remove it ("Flashback Removal Tool") available here:

http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00002346.html

To make sure this doesn't happen again, as the latter page suggests:

«If you run an older version of Mac OS X, update to a current version. Or disable Java in your browser. Or uninstall Java.»

--
Thibault
Skype for Mac Engineer

Please do not send me a private message about your crashes: do that in the main forums instead.
If Skype is crashing, please check this thread.
If this doesn't fix your problem, please check how to report a crash/hang, or any other issue
0 Kudos
Thibault
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 111
Message 154 of 211 (648 Views)

Thibault wrote:

Antony_H wrote:

Hi,

Frequently but not always, when I get an incoming call from another Skype user, I click the 'accept' button to take the call and.... nothing happens. The ringing sound continues but I get the spinning beach ball of death.

The only fix (I have tried "just waiting"!) is to force quit skype, relaunch, call the other party back. When force quiting the FQ window does not report skype as not responding, although it is unresponsive.

Initially this was happening on Skype 5.3; first thing I did was to upgrade to Skype 6.3.0.582 - no change.

iMac 27" (latest model)
OSX 10.8.2
2.9GHz i5
24GB 1600MHz DDR3

I am using a Plantronics ".Audio 655 DSP" USB headset; I have had this and used it with Skype for 18 months (since OSX 10.6 on an older iMac 24").

I formerly had Soundflower installed; I removed this earlier today thinking it may be related but the same problem has recurred since.

I have no other external audio input/output devices attached.

This iMac is only a couple of weeks old; install is restored from a TimeMachine backup from my previous machine.

Zip of (hopefully all) relevant files comes to about 19MB as that is the size of the 'skydebug' file, however when I try to attach it to this post, the 'post' action just hangs. So, posting first without the zip to see if the attachment is the problem or if it's the forum having an issue (tried on Safari on OSX and now Firefox on Win7).

Hi!

You can try uploading it on WeTransfer or any other file sharing service of your convenience (Dropbox, etc.) :happy:

Hi Thibault,

Zip now at:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz1dxfHz-uLcdW1jSTVwWlprM2c/edit?usp=sharing

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Antony_H
Novel Adventurer
Message 155 of 211 (642 Views)

Thibault,

I have deleted the old version of Call recorder and reinstalled the recent Skype version (6.3.0.602). No problem for the moment, it works, no crash on opening.

Thans for your help.

0 Kudos
DANIBAS
Novel Adventurer
Message 156 of 211 (568 Views)

Hello everyone.

Try this, it worked on my Mac:

1) uninstall Skype following the instructions on this site

2) delete files 'SkypeABDealer.bundle' and 'SkypeABSMS.bundle'

You find these files in this way:

1) Finder --> Go --> Go to folder...

2) type ~/Library --> Go

3) in folder 'Address Book Plug-Ins' you will find the files quoted above: delete them.

Once I did the steps above I reinstalled Skype succesfully.

Regards

0 Kudos
Manfreddo
Novel Adventurer
Message 157 of 211 (536 Views)

Same problem on MBPRO mid 2011 2.3Ghz Intel i5 4gb/1333Mhz 13 .

Two days ago I completely uninstalled Skype 6.3.59.582 and loaded 6.0.0.2946 and Skype thus far appears to be working fine--- with automatic updates deselected.I intend to stay with this version and wait for any positive [hopefully] comments on later versions before updating.I previously had none of the plugins referred to, no firewire devices attached--- just a pretty clean basic setup-- but Skype became unuseable once 6.3 / OS 10.8.3 were interfaced. Keep at it Thibault --- it would be sad to see Skype tank! 

0 Kudos
jaguar7474
Casual Adventurer
Message 158 of 211 (528 Views)

Hello all, after skype update all works.

0 Kudos
etigunov
Novel Adventurer
Message 159 of 211 (507 Views)

where in your system did you find call recorder to delete it? it pops up and asks me to buy it (immediately before crashing) but i can't seem to find an actual application to delete...
0 Kudos
adr1enne
Casual Tourist
Message 160 of 211 (458 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling