Profile Picture

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Profile Picture

I am on a Mac and accidentally deleted the picture I am currently using as my Skype profile picture. I would like to get the picture back, but I am unable to copy my own picture as I can do to other users' pictures. I have gotten a friend to save my picture to their computer to send it to me, but the quality wasn't that great and it was smaller. Is there a way to go into my files somewhere and extract the image being used as my profile picture?

0 Kudos
Mugglers
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (2,989 Views)

Re: Profile Picture

In your Skype click on your name at top left. That brings up your profile. Then select Change Picture and you'll have a choice, one of them being Recents. Select that and your old picture should hopefully be there to select.

0 Kudos
rwakeford
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 162
Message 2 of 4 (2,957 Views)

I apologize for being unclear. I have deleted the picture that is set as my Skype profile picture, but it is still my profile picture. What I want to do is get that picture back onto my hard rive from Skype.
0 Kudos
Mugglers
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 4 (2,941 Views)

From what I know (I may be wrong), Skype only saves the thumbnails of your profile picture. Saving the actual file from your computer from millions of users (with the average raw file size being around 2-4MB) would be too much of a hassle and would waste too much disk space on Skype's servers. Your problem is not Skype's, but probably your own. You might want to invest in a program such as Data Rescue 3 to attempt to recover your deleted files. 

You could also ask someone else to open your Skype profile and right-click the existing photo and copy it, but the quality of that photo may be severely reduced. 

0 Kudos
ozzyk
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 10
Message 4 of 4 (2,925 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling