Playing music during Skype call with a Mac

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Playing music during Skype call with a Mac

Does anyone know how I can mix in system audio, like music from iTunes or music from a youtube video, into a Skype call?

Unfortunately, Wiretap Anywhere does not seem to support OS 10.7 or above. I've been reading about software like Soundflower, LineIn, Nicecast and Ladiocast, but the people using that stuff are broadcasting on a web radio station (ds106 Radio) so I may not need as many features as them. Is there a simple way to mix in one music source into a 2-person Skype call? Thanks!

I'm on Mac OS 10.7.4 and Skype 5.8. 

0 Kudos
onaroll
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 5 (4,141 Views)

Re: Playing music during Skype call with a Mac

Hi Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem. Cheers.

0 Kudos
mungexxx
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 5 (4,006 Views)

Hi Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem. Cheers.

0 Kudos
mungexxx
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 5 (4,006 Views)

I figured it out but not in a satisfactory way. I followed the insturctions from this tutorial (http://thisevilempire.com/blog/?p=442) and used Soundflower and LineIn (both are free). It gave me a nano-second delay in my voice, which was workable but not desirable.

Funny thing, when I compared this solution to the old fashion analog solution--place a speaker with music next to the same mic (Blue Snowball) I'm talking into--the other party said the old fashion method sounded as good, maybe better. So that's what I'm doing at the moment. (Note: I'm coaching music so audio quality is important; plus, I only did one test comparision so I should do more.)

I had a conversation with Rogue Amoeba tech support. They recommended Audio Hijack Pro (free), which is on my list to do. If you give this a try, please let us know. Here are their instructions (looks like you also need Soundflower):

1) Set up a session in Audio Hijack Pro with the Input as your microphone and output as Soundflower.

2) In this session, set an Application Mixer effect to add in the audio you want on your chat.

3) In Skype, set your Input as Soundflower in the Sound settings.

onaroll
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 5 (3,985 Views)

Dude you are a saint! I tried evrything to get this to work and no luck! When I read the instructions from AudioHiJack it worked like a charm!:bigsmile:

0 Kudos
carnese
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 5 (1,928 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling